Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats wrong with my lawn?

Posted by DaParch Indiana (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 11 at 23:42

My lawn has several spots that appear to be growing. I will post a link of the photos below. The spots are growing and nothing seems to slow them down. i can pull the "grass" and it is like they are not even attached to the soil. They look like grass and during the middle of the summer they are less noticeable but still there. They stay browner longer than the rest of the lawn after the winter but they green up just as nice as the lawn. There is no sign of grubs or other insects as far as i can see. I dethatched a few years ago and the machine ripped most of it out and i pulled the rest and reseeded. It was better but it still came back as shown here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/69783990@N06/ Any ideas?
Northwest Indiana, lawn established 15 years ago. Bluegrass/perennial rye mix but not sure. i have a sprinker system and water a few times a week during dry periods. I used Tru-Green service this year, they couldnt tell me anything when i asked them, they wont be back next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grass Pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats wrong with my lawn?

Those areas of lighter green are almost certainly infestations of poa trivialis. Poa triv is an invasive grass that spreads via stolons. It prefers cooler weather, and goes semi dormant in the summer only to reappear in fall and spring. When conditions are favorable it grows faster than most turfgrasses, and sticks up above the rest of the lawn. It is very difficult to get rid of, and usually the only course of eradication is Round-up, but I have read even then it might come back. Now if this spring those light green areas have a lot of white seed heads, then you have poa annua. I doubt this is the case but there are hundreds of varieties of poa annua so I wouldn't rule it out completely. As far as lawn care companies, most of them, especially the big ones, hire people that have little to no lawn care knowledge. They are trained to come to your house and apply whatever they are told to do and give you the bill. You would have better results doing your own lawn care, or finding a smaller independent that knows what they are doing.

o

Tiemco wrote:
> As far as lawn care companies, most of them, especially
> the big ones, hire people that have little to no
> lawn care knowledge.

Oh, that explains why my neighbor has had trouble with his company. You call them "lawn care" companies. I call them
"lawn mowing" companies. LOL

o

I used to work with a guy who was a sales person for Trugreen. He was a salesman, not a grass guy. He learned everything he knew about lawns form the corporate sales pitch they trained him with. Some people they hire are more informed than others.

o

tiemco's comment "You would have better results doing your own lawn care, or finding a smaller independent that knows what they are doing." Excellent advice. I "fired" two major lawn services in the past 2 1/2 years. I believe that both were using good products -- probably too many visits to do the job -- but think that they were diluting the liquid products and reducing the amount of dry materials. Too many visits? Every other month is not necessary for fertilizing, bug and pests, and fungus control. But 6 a year is what all of the local companies advertise, so they all get on the band wagon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here