Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Grass/Weeds Identification!

Posted by raysyd none (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 2:35

Please help me to identify the following 3 grass/weeds spreading in my lawn. I have no ideas of what they are and how to treat them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1.  photo 590D4EF6DSC_0575_zpsbab63c9c.jpg

2.  photo DSC_0574_zpsd06d35b3.jpg

3. same with picture 2.
 photo DSC_0586_2_zps379ce8c2.jpg

photo DSC_0566_zps969b7a04.jpg

5. same with picture 4.
 photo DSC_0578_zps48fdfd19.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Grass/Weeds Identification!

Where do you live? Maybe that will help narrow down the possibilities.

o

I am living in Sydney, Australia. Please help.

o

I can't narrow down the top one besides to say I believe they are in the sedge family. Slice through one of the stems under the seed head and check to see if it is roughly triangular in shape. That would verify it is a sedge. The solution for sedges is different from that of grasses or other plants. In the US we have a product called Sedge Hammer and one called Image. Don't know what you might have behind the black stump.

For the other weed my first approach would be to use a 2,4-d product. Do you have Weed-B-Gone?

The idea for these sprays is to moisten the leaves of the plant, not to drench the soil. A little goes a long way.

If the second plant is not killed by the Weed-B-Gone, I would try putting some RoundUp in a small bud vase and sticking a strand of the plant into the vase. Let it soak up the RoundUp. There are some vine type weeds where one root system feeds a lot of the plant. This might be one. I've tried it on bind weed in my garden. One vase killed all the weed in the garden.

o

dchall_san_antonio does a great job identifying grasses but failed his Sherlock Homes test.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here