Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoysiasod

Spread compost with a leaf rake or a landscaping rake?

ZoysiaSod
12 years ago

Author Sandy Baker says to use a leaf rake to spread compost onto your lawn. Paul Tukey uses a landscaping rake (there's a photo in the book of him using a landscaping rake to spread compost onto a lawn).

A landscaping rake is a really wide rake and probably has metal teeth/tines (I haven't seen one up close yet).

The leaf rake I have is a very gentle one in that it's plastic (not bamboo--hard to find those) and its teeth are NOT pointed like a *soil* rake's canines. The teeth of a leaf rake are more akin to molars, I guess.

The closest thing I have to a landscaping rake right now is a *soil* rake--I guess that's what it's called. It's teeth are strong, unbending and *unflexible* metal and the teeth are pointed somewhat like canines. These *soil* rakes aren't as wide as landscaping rakes, but I imagine they're similar in the metal canine teeth respect?

Anyway, should you use:

(1) a gentle, plastic leaf rake to spread compost...

(2) a pointed canine metal *soil* rake...OR

(3) a wide landscaping rake to spread compost onto a lawn?

There's something that's an intermediate rake between a gentle plastic leaf rake and an inflexible metal-toothed *soil* rake, and that's a rake that has metal teeth, but the teeth are thin and *flexible* (they bend). I'll call that an intermediate rake.

I don't recall if I used the intermediate rake or the gentler plastic leaf rake to spread a bit of compost earlier in the summer. I probably used both. I do recall not using the unflexible metalic *soil* rake, though.

The landscaping rakes really are wide. Maybe they'd get the job done faster?

What's your rake preference for compost?

Comments (9)