Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Erosion on New Lawn

Posted by d-bone 5A (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 11:56

I live in SE Wisconsin, near Milwaukee. Late this fall, I seeded my lawn with Elite Kentucky Blue Grass cultivators. I had hoped to do it sooner, but it took longer than I would have liked for the yard to be ready to seed. I planted in the middle of September or so. By the middle of October, I had ok germination (very thin, but most of the yard). It never really grew at all after germination. I believe it was establishing the root system.

The question that I have is that because of the smaller hills in my yard, and the fact that KBG takes a while to sprout, and now after it has sprouted, since the lawn is still so very thin, I have several erosion tracks. Some are worse than others.
What should I do about it now?? Rake across them (perpendicular to the tracks) to remove them? I do not want to tear up the little bit of grass I have, so am reluctant to do this... Unless this is the best option. Wait for the winter freeze, and address it in the spring?? If so, what to do then??

Thank you for your help, it is MUCH appreciated!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Erosion on New Lawn

More pics...

o

More pics...

o

More pics...

o

More pics...

o

Last picture... Again, thank you for your help!!!

o

Sometimes the best way to control erosion is to provide alternate ways for the water to move from the high land to the ditches. Some times this means sacrificing parts of the lawn.

I planted new grass on the slope in front of our house. To control erosion, I sacrificed part of the yard to provide a shallow trench a long the top of the slope so the water would run down the slope into the trench and away from the newly seeded area. Next year when those seeded areas are established and can stand the water I will fix the shallow trench.

Using this method will be unique to the area where the erosion is occurring. It may be a shallow trench right through the middle of the yard, or a trench that takes advantage of the slope of the yard to move the water to somewhere else.

There is not much more you can do, since the yard needs the water, and you can not collect it so it does not get on the yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here