Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ruts from riding mower killing St Augustine

Posted by pkapeckopickldpepprz z9 a/b FL (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 12:08

How does one prevent this? I told the landscapers to go on every other week instead of e very week to hopefully have the grass recover since it isn't growing as fast this time of year, even though I am in Florida where it has been low 80s all week.

I have tried raking the ruts to kind of even it out and remove the dead grass and rhizomes. What else can be done short of re-soding all of those areas? How can the ruts be prevented next time?

I can see the back portion of the property behind the rose garden where they have to make a hard turn and that ruts will probably always be a problem.

Can I just pack in sand to raise the level where the tires will go to keep it from sinking or compacting? How long would it be before the St. Augustine will spread through those areas?

The other problem with the ruts are, as they get deeper, the surrounding grass is higher therefore it gets scalped somewhat making the problem worse.

I asked the landscaper if he could raise the blades on the mower and he told me it is the highest setting which seems odd as it's 4-5 inches but would think a riding mower would have the capability to raise them even higher 7-10 inches if need be no?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ruts from riding mower killing St Augustine

The job of the landscaper/mower is to make the landscape look immaculate. When their own practices cause the landscape to look like a construction zone, they need to be let go and replaced with someone who knows how to do the job.

If the weight of the riding mower is the problem, then find a landscaper/mower who will use walking mower(s).

o
RE: Ruts from riding mower killing St Augustine

Problem is they never alternate directions with the mower either. They have been told numerous times to do this but Im afraid you may be right and a change in landscapers is in order AGAIN. Problem is someone new will come in and make it look good for a few months and then they start skimping and doing a quick mow and go or blow and go type routine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here