Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkapeckopickldpepprz

Ruts from riding mower killing St Augustine

How does one prevent this? I told the landscapers to go on every other week instead of e very week to hopefully have the grass recover since it isn't growing as fast this time of year, even though I am in Florida where it has been low 80s all week.

I have tried raking the ruts to kind of even it out and remove the dead grass and rhizomes. What else can be done short of re-soding all of those areas? How can the ruts be prevented next time?

I can see the back portion of the property behind the rose garden where they have to make a hard turn and that ruts will probably always be a problem.

Can I just pack in sand to raise the level where the tires will go to keep it from sinking or compacting? How long would it be before the St. Augustine will spread through those areas?

The other problem with the ruts are, as they get deeper, the surrounding grass is higher therefore it gets scalped somewhat making the problem worse.

I asked the landscaper if he could raise the blades on the mower and he told me it is the highest setting which seems odd as it's 4-5 inches but would think a riding mower would have the capability to raise them even higher 7-10 inches if need be no?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone