Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Covering seeds with plastic for better germination ??

Posted by ItsJorgen (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 12:24

In my other topic I asked bout Bermuda Sahara for my yard in the bahamas. Any input is still welcome.

The biggest problem I have is the sandy soil. How do I keep this moist for germination? Its impossible to sprinkle all day for me.

But what would happen if I seed, water it and would cover the area with plastic film? Would that work?

(ps.. i can not enable notify option in my account, anybody knows why? I can tick it, but it wont safe the option)

Here is a link that might be useful: My yard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Covering seeds with plastic for better germination ??

Covering it will plastic will heat the soil and kill all your seed. You definitely have a challenge there. I'm wondering if you could sprout the seed indoors in flat trays and plant those in the yard??

o

That could be done, but will take me 5 years to fill 40k of yard :D

o

Don't plant more than you can care for. A method that works for establishing pasture grasses where resources are limited is to seed strips and let the grasses spread naturally.

If you seeded an area that you could care for this year and got it going, then next year seeded another ... you would get a lawn eventually. And the clippings from the first section could be composted onto the second one, building your success.

Have you considered using some of the other "grassy" looking plants that normally grow in sandy soil? Dune Sedge, some of the "ice plants", etc. are going to be easier to establish. A mixed "meadow" look is easier to attain.

http://www.laspilitas.com/nature-of-california/plants/carex-pansa says that Carex practically REQUIRES near-beach sand. Sounds like a better idea than Bermuda grass.

o

Thanks for the input lazygardens, but that Carex wont work for me.
Carex pansa is native there, forming little clumps separated by feet of open sand, kinda like a dog with mange. Will not work as lawn.

The step by step would work. Do what i can take care off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here