Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
KBG for new lawn, zone 5

Posted by gardeningmomof5 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 15:43

I am in zone 5, central between Cleveland and Youngstown. Our current lawn is a Heinz 57 mix of grasses depending on where you are standing with a lot of weeks and unevenness. Our plans are to rent a sod cutter in the spring, remove the old lawn, and fill in the low spots. Mostly sun for the front lawn that is being replaced. I like the look of KGB but have read its best to incorporate other seed is as well. However, I came across this while seed shopping and would like to use it solely. Does this sound to good to be true?

Here is a link that might be useful: World Cup KBG seed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: KBG for new lawn, zone 5

Several points:

(1) Spring is a bad time to do a renovation. Lots of weed pressure and the summer heat comes too fast for good establishment. The best time for a renovation is very late summer just as the evenings cool the slightest bit - around Aug 15th.

(2) There is nothing wrong with an all-KBG lawn, but KBG is a little more demanding on fertilizer and water. It looks extremely uniform though.

(3) You are best off with a sod-quality seed source -- the weed numbers are much lower. Big-box store sources are the worst sources for seed.

o

Andy gives good advice. as an alternative source, there are many sod farms in N.E. Ohio some of which sell sod quality seed and fertilizer etc. Call around and pay a visit and see what the turf from the seed will look like. Plus there is always the option of sodding the lawn in Spring.

o

Yes, sod would be preferred to seed in the spring. Sod roots are already established so they should get through the summer heat. There is the watering issue, though. The watering regimen for sod is roughly the same as for seed. When you water that much you are also watering the crabgrass seed. There's really nothing you can do about the watering but you can allow the grass to grow up taller than you might normally let it go. The extra shade will help a lot to slow or stop the crabgrass. The other thing about sod is you can put it out before the crabgrass would be sprouting and get some of that water down before the crabgrass is ready.

o

Where have you been dchall? Don't see you posting regularly much anymore. Hope all's well.

o

All is well. I have a new boss. The old one let our office get behind on our written plans, so we're working extra long hours to catch up. I've also had computer and Android issues to deal with. These, too, shall pass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here