Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaylabranger

weeds in my yard

kaylabranger
9 years ago

We just had a house built and the sod was put down in october. It's bermuda...not sure what type, so hopefully that doesn't matter...anyhow, it is being overtaken by some sort of weed. I literally know nothing about lawn maintenance so I'd appreciate any help I can get. I'm posting pictures of my yard as well as closeup pics of the weeds. Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

• kaylabranger
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention that since it's a new yard, we were told by our neighbor not to treat with anything so we haven't put anything on it yet. We just aren't sure how much he knows or how accurate that information is.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

if its less than 100 ... just go pull them out ..

a dollar store butcher knife.. might help ....

first thing a newb needs to understand... is that not everything requires a chemical ... nor organic remedy ...

whatever you do.. dont let them seed ...

ken

ps: this is where you give a pic of the whole lawn.. and there are a million of them .... lol

• kaylabranger
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, my front yard is 70,000 Sq ft. There are sooo many of them. We have the only house on the block that has them and it's quite an eye sore. We don't know what to do. How do we keep them from seeding? I go out and pull them all the time but don't think I could ever get them all. I plan to try as much as I can on saturday. I'm posting a small portion of my yard to give you an idea. Any idea what they are so I can research it?

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Where do you live in Texas? I'm just curious where it's that dormant?

The upper weed in your pic is a broadleaf weed. You can spot spray those with Weed-B-Gone. The grassy looking weed is a grassy weed and will not be affected by Weed-B-Gone. But it will be affected by Grass-B-Gone. Since your bermuda is completely dormant, it will not be affected by the GBG, so if you spot spray the grassy weeds, that should take care of those.

You could also spot spray with full strength vinegar, and that should kill both the weeds and not affect the bermuda (during dormancy). Put a few drops of dish soap or shampoo into the vinegar to be sure it sticks to the plant. It works best to spray vinegar on a hot sunny day...or at least a sunny day.

For winter reading, find the Bermuda Bible online and memorize it.

70,000 square feet is a lot of grass. Have you considered alternatives to grass...like trails, ponds, gardens, orchards, vineyards? I have a long list if you're interested.

The biggest mistake new lawn owners make is watering too frequently. You should never have to water more than once per week in the hottest part of summer. This time of year monthly watering is good to keep the soil microbes happy. As the temps warm up you can go to once every 3 weeks, then 2 weeks, and then weekly in late May through September. Water a full inch when you water. Measure an inch by placing cat food or tuna cans out in the yard and then time how long it takes your sprinkler system to fill the cans. If you have zones, each zone might be different. My system takes 8 hours to fill a can. My neighbor's takes 20 minutes. Every system is different.

• danielj_2009
    9 years ago

I'm afraid to ask how large your back yard is... Maybe a good alternative to a grass lawn might be an airport? :)