Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will it do any good to overseed in December??

Posted by autom8r Mid TN (5) (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 10, 11 at 17:09

My yard is 95% shaded in the summer and Middle Tennessee (Zone 5) is subject to hot dry summers. I have tried several different seed types and have found HoundDog tall fescue about the best for my 1+ acre lawn.

I fertilized, aerated, seeded, then thourougly re-aerated on Sept. 18 and had a lovely stand of thick young grass within 2 weeks. As the TONS of leaves fell weekly I vacuumed them weekly with an engine driven Brinly LVS-33 Poly-Vac System pulled behind a lawn tractor. The wheels and weight of this equipment did significant damage to my tender young lawn.

I would like to overseed this as early as possible so the new grass will be able to take as much advantage as possible of the sunlight allowed in thru the many leaf barren trees to get a head start on the summer heat and drought before the leaves re-grow.

How early can I reliably overseed to repair the equipment damage? Will it do any good to re-seed before a predicted rare snowfall?

Thanks for your input.

Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will it do any good to overseed in December??

I'm confused about the nature of the damage. Can you walk us through all the steps you did in preparation for the renovation? Something is missing. Start with how you cared for the lawn before you decided to renovate.

Yes, reseed now and look up the term, 'dormant seeding.'

o

The damage was done by the weight on the wheels of my lawn vacuuming equipment making multiple passes over the tender new grass.

Dave

o

A little late but...

I meant to overseed in early November. Life intervened. Oh well. I tossed out some seed the week after thanksgiving along with some fertilizer. I didn't water.

Well, I've got short grass almost everywhere. I guess you can do everything "wrong" and still turn out alright.

*** Raleigh NC experience only. Obviously you are going to get any germination under a couple feet of snow.

o

The damage was done by the weight on the wheels of my lawn vacuuming equipment making multiple passes over the tender new grass.

Sure it was, but the equipment would not do any damage if the lawn had been properly prepared. That's why I asked for your preparation process. If you continue doing it the way you have already done it, you'll have the same problem every time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here