Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some animal made a mess on the grass

Posted by chanbr 9CA (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 18:09

My lawn was terrorized by some kind of an animal over night. Three to four big holes were dug. Not deep holes but big. Looks like BIG foot had visited my lawn. I live in the city, no where near the mountains. Can someone tell me why animals like to do that?

My lawn is new from grass seed. I was going to show some photos here, but I don't know how. Paste does not work.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some animal made a mess on the grass

Where are you in California? It's a big place.

You can upload one image per post using the "Image file to upload (optional)" feature. Then you can browse for your photo and upload it. Pictures would be helpful.

Or you can use HTML code to post as many pictures as you want in your post. I believe GardenWeb has plenty of references for posting pictures if you search. You can ever search this forum for the following text "img src" and you'll find some messages.

o

I live in Temple City, south of Pasadena. Uploaded one photo.

o

I'm going to suggest it was a squirrel digging up a buried acorn or other tree seed. Do you or the neighbors have any oak trees (Californa live oak is what I'm thinking). The other possibility would be a skunk or possum digging for grubs. I would think all the skunks are gone from Temple City, but there might be possums. Somehow they manage to evade eradication.

My first wife was from El Monte, so not that far away.

o

So how do I fix these holes? Do I fill them with garden soil now and then when it's warm again, I will reseed the spots? Thanks.

o

Refill with the soil that is there first and foremost. If the soil was too scattered to refill the entire hole, then use garden soil or sand. It should mound up slightly to allow the soil to settle in the next few years.

If you have bermuda or Kentucky bluegrass, the grass will cover over by itself. If you have fescue (like the Marathon varieties), then you will need to reseed. I would reseed now and not wait until it gets warm. In your area it might be wet and warm enough for the seed to sprout by itself in January.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here