Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leaves left on new ttf sod

Posted by duk748 ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 18:17

hello - hope all had a nice turkey day - i usually get out this past week to make my final cleanup of leaves & fert one last time - well mother nature had other ideas this year & we had 3 or so inches of snow this week in northeast ohio - we are due to have some rain/snow this week w/ saturday being the possible day to get this done - most of the leaves are from my neighhbors yards & not mine - what are the possible problems if i just cannot get them all up - i am worried about snow mold & the leaves smoothering the new sod - any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated m- thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leaves left on new ttf sod

Consider mulching the leaves with your lawn mower and leaving the shredded leaves on the lawn. They will then decompose and the lawn will benefit from the organic matter. You do not want to leave unshredded leaves on the lawn as that will smother the grass. It will probably take several passes with the lawn mower but you can process a lot of leaves that way. Here's a recent article in NY Times on mulching leaves:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/25/nyregion/rake-the-leaves-some-towns-say-mow-them.html?_r=0

o
RE: leaves left on new ttf sod

Definitely, if the leaf cover is heavy, you should make a point of getting the leaves off.
The trouble with doing it at this late date is the leaves have absorbed a lot of moisture---be it rain, dew or snow.
Lawn mowers is the thing to use....raise the height of the wheels so you don't cut turf...the leaves stand a better chance of being lifted up.....bag them, of course.
I say, of course, because chances are with the leaves absorbing so much moisture they will be hard to cut up....no matter how sharp the blades...they'll skip out and you'll end up going over and over and over the same leaf pile in order to get any sort of volume.
Bag the leaves, throw into your compost....no compost pile...save the leaves in the bag, throw some soil in, throw some kitchen scraps in, poke holes in the bottom to let worms in, and deposit behind a hedge for later use....next summer.
Leaf mold makes for great feeding of roses.

If you find it hard to lift with the mower, you have the rake to get it done.....but whatever, don't leave them on the lawn...they'll kill the lawn faster than anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here