Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marathon Lawn Yellowing

Posted by tomat0 10a (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 5, 11 at 18:52

Time to ask the lawn experts for advice!
I can't rehabilitate my Marathon lawn for some reason. Would anyone have any suggestions? :)

Here are the details:
Fertilization: Topper layer when installed. Fertilized several times with Marathon brand food and once with Nitra King a month ago.
Watering: 15 min @ MWF when warm, now 15 min @ MTh.
Mowing: Once a week @ ~3".

I admit, I did not maintain a steady fertilizing schedule and my mowing habits were not weekly the past few months.
The lawn has slowed in growth in the past 6? months or so. There has been nothing else applied or done to it.

Side note: I've been considering going organic with a pure compost/plant meal regime. I do organic garden in my backyard and my soil has a fair amount of clay, but is quite healthy as my fruit trees are growing substantially. Gotta respect Mother Nature!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marathon Lawn Yellowing

Sorry, I forgot the pictures! :D

Overview
Overview

o

Where are you located (I'm guessing California)? From your pic it looks like you have a bit of disease. Your watering schedule isn't ideal. You should be watering less often, for longer periods of time. I would also suggest getting a comprehensive soil test to determine if you have any deficiencies. (Logan Labs basic soil test, $20). Tall fescue loses color and gets some yellowing as temperatures fall, but if you live in SoCal you shouldn't see too much cold weather dormancy affects.

o

Yes, I am in Southern California! :)
I'll adjust my watering to less frequent but longer periods. Time to get those tuna cans out!

Some of the grass blades look healthy while some are complete opposites, as you can see in the closeup photo. Could you give any additional suggestions based on that?

o

I wouldn't worry too much about it since it's pretty diffuse and most of the stand looks pretty good. I would get the soil test I suggested and if anything is out of whack then work on correcting those deficiencies.

o

Just an update. I fed it plenty and watered with sweat. Looking good but some spots need reseeding/water. Perfect season for that!
Thanks for the updates. I'll post a pic when I can. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here