Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turf Boom Sprayers

Posted by blueberrier1 6b/KY (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 22, 11 at 20:10

Anyone with experience with a specific brand of trailed boom turf sprayer with 16-24 foot coverage?

Wanted for organic fertilization.

Anyone using a boom sprayer with an ATV?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turf Boom Sprayers

You may be being misled. Organic fertilizer usually is a solid, not a liquid. Bloodmeal is about the only reconstitutable organic fertilizer. If you are spraying molasses, not technically a fertilizer, then a boom should work. If you are spraying fish meal, you are wasting your money. The amount of nitrogen/protein in liquid fish fertilizer is miniscule. If I recall correctly it takes about 3 gallons of liquid fish per 1,000 square feet to match the nitrogen from 15 pounds of coffee grounds.

If you are thinking of spraying fresh compost tea, I can almost guarantee you that the nozzles will clog about 30 seconds after you start spraying. Not only that but you'll have to drive the ATV so slowly it will take all day. I know a lady who sprays 200 gallons per day of the compost tea she brews. She had to go to a #20 nozzle to stop the clogging and she filters her tea. A #20 nozzle blows a thick stream of tea. She aims it at a flat steel plate angled at 45 degrees. The tea fans out from the steel plate and covers about a 10-foot wide swath.

o

dchall, thanks for your input. Have met folks who follow advice from other ACRES USA (the eco-ag publication)articles and use organic liquids for turf, pasture, hay and veggie crops successfully. These folks spray hundreds of acres-so their equipment is not what I need.

Sprayer nozzles are a challenge for folks who spray non-organic 'stuff' as well. I have no experience, nor intentions to spray molasses, but have used filtered KVAST as a foliar feed on food crops without problems-and am considering testing this on a four acre pasture.

o

Can you explain what KVAST is? Google tells me it is a Swedish word for broom or brush.

What liquids are the Acres USA folks spraying? Some of their articles make good sense and some seem to be hokum to me. I like to believe that some writers have special conditions which makes their favorite cure work for them. For example spraying sea salt on otherwise salty soil is not likely to improve growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here