Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hgiljr

What Kind of WEED is this

hgiljr
15 years ago

Hello all, happy Holidays and Happy New Year. I have this weed on my easement and have tried several weed killer and all they do is kill the top but not the root. Grows right back. Any idea what kind of weed is this and what I can use to kill them? Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27256330@N08/3151595703/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27256330@N08/3151595513/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27256330@N08/3151595357/

Comments (12)

• dchall_san_antonio
    15 years ago

Here are your pictures

{{gwi:121613}}

{{gwi:121614}}

{{gwi:121615}}

• hgiljr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting...

• eriocaulon
    15 years ago

That would make for a nice houseplant. Too bad it's in your lawn though!

• hgiljr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After much research this weed is whitehead broom. Now anyone know which product to use to kill this weed? Thanks

• andy10917
    15 years ago

While I'm mostly a northern gardener, I've seen that at my place in the Keys. Use a 3-way for southern lawns, and keep hitting it every three weeks until the roots get starved because there are no leaves to feed them. It will take at least three applications. There are other chemicals, but not for St Augustine.

• hgiljr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Any particular brand? Lesco?

• andy10917
    15 years ago

I thought it was an Ortho product for southern lawns, but any 2,4D/MCPP/Dicamba product should work if used right. Make sure that your lawn is not Floratam before you start using this stuff.

• botanical_bill
    15 years ago

I have this in my yard too, about 1/2 of it. They get really big deep roots very quickly. I used 2,4-D on it and it only knocked out the small new plants. The old, deep-rooted ones are still kicking. I have not tried dicambia but plant on spraying that next. I have a bahia grass lawn and just moved in about 6 months ago. So I have lots of work to do.
    I got a hand held blowtorch, the ones used for roofing torch downs. I scorched a 20x10 area and it killed every thing including the seeds as only grass has come back. This seems very promising but my problem is I have a half-acre, not practical to scorch that much land especially with the dry season coming up.

From my research and reading, this weed is like Sida, after it gets rooted in, pulling it is the best bet or you will have to spray 3-4 times. With that, again, from research, dicambia should work the best. Ill post back after I spary and wait a week. If you could do the same after you spary. Well compare results.

Andy10917 hit it too. If you have floratam or any other type of St Aug, dont use this stuff.

• cecilia_jardin
    15 years ago

I think I have nettles. They have little hairs on the leafs. They sting. We planted a new lawn and a bunch of nettles and round leaf weeds grew with the lawn. I'm pulling them out by hand by the roots if I can. Is there a better way without killing the new lawn, to rid of these weeds.

• hgiljr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went ahead and got three way seletive and no results. I started with .75 oz per 1 gallon sprayer and no results. Not even the lawn around this weed was affected. I sprayed it on some other type weed and it somewhat killed it but not like a other home center weed killers that just kills it. I increased the mix to 1 3/4 per gallon and re-tried. Same results. I now increased it to 3.25 oz per gallon sprayer and no results. What am I doing wrong or what am I missing here? Thanks

• botanical_bill
    15 years ago

If I am not mistaken, some weed killers do not work well while plants are dormant. Wait about another month and see if they die.
    I sprayed my front yard and nothing died. I sprayed again and nothing. I watered the lawn heavily for about a week to get the plants growing and most of the weeds died.

• MrMaxx
    13 years ago

I have a small flower that is growing in my yard. Unfortunately I just sprayed "weed & feed" and it didn't appreciate it. ;-) It's barely high enough to get the flower cut off by the mower (walk behind mower at the next-to-highest setting) and it's got a small number of white petals, I think about 4 of them in a "+" shape with a yellow center. The flowers all come up on a central stalk then branch out an inch or so before the individual flower comes out. It's a very pretty flower, and it's blooming this time of year every year.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH