Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixing tall fescue seed with Marathon 1 sod

Posted by pman6 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 8, 12 at 22:43

I saw Vigoro brand tall fescue seed at home depot.
It's cheaper by weight than genuine Marathon seed.
I have patchy dead areas in my Marathon 1 lawn.

Will this tall fescue seed blend well with marathon 1 in terms of COLOR?

Marathon 1 is relatively dark green.

I just don't want new fescue to differ too much in color and stand out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixing tall fescue seed with Marathon 1 sod

Most tall fescues are pretty similar in color, but I would probably warn against using Vigoro when trying to repair Marathon 1. First of all Vigoro is a real hodge podge of cultivars, none of which do all that well in the NTEP trials. Another thing to think about is growth rate. If I'm not mistaken, most of the Marathons are dwarf types that don't grow all that fast and do better in the heat of California. Vigoro's blend will probably grow faster and not be as heat tolerant as Marathon 1.

o

+1 Tiemco. I have written two postings in the past two days for folks that wound up with difficult-to-treat weeds after using big-box seed mixes. It's penny-wise and pound-foolish to save a couple of dollars on seed and then wind up having to purchase specialty herbicides to kill the weeds (the herbicides cost $50-$130). Purchasing really good (sod-quality) seed lowers the follow-up work that can go on for 2-3 years. It's similar to purchasing knock-off parts to repair your car - it may work or it may backfire and cause other problems. Also consider that disease-resistance is much better in the newer cultivars, which avoids the do-it-again-and-again cycle of repairing the lawn.

This post was edited by andy10917 on Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 9:56

o

Agree and agree. And if you a mix dwarf type grass with anything else, you will forever regret it. I would not even mix Marathon I with Marathon II, and certainly not Marathon III. The mixed in grass will look like a weed no matter how the color compares.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here