Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suesheldon

Dormant Seeding and Alfalfa

suesheldon
11 years ago

I did some extensive repairs in the fall with good results. Killed off large areas of creeping bentgrass and planted KBG and perennial rye. We're having a very mild winter so far in Western NY- 40's- 50's during the day and 30's at night. I have a few small bare spots to seed and also want to overseed the entire lawn to help make it as dense as possible this spring. Since there's no snow cover, will the birds pick it clean if I just spread seed by hand with an "arc toss" and don't top dress with anything? The grass is cut short, and I've vaccumed every stinking leaf and seed pod off it more times than I can count because of stupid high winds...can't believe I'm rooting for snow to keep the neighbors' debris in their yards, but I am. Should I wait for a forecast of heavy wet snow to seed? I really want to try the alfalfa pellets as fertilizer- can that be done now and still be effective? I've never seen the pellets...are they small enough to go through a spreader and would it be totally absurd to pulverize them so I don't have a layer of (little brown?) pellets on the lawn? Thanks for answering a mixed bag of questions and Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Comments (2)