Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5hp Tecumseh fuel problem

Posted by dfjnkc72 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 4:21

I built a tiller attachment for my 4wheeler and found a 5 hp tecumseh to put on it. After a thorough cleaning and replacing the fuel line it now gets fuel into the bowl but isn't getting any into the intake.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5hp Tecumseh fuel problem

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 14:15

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lmower/msg061726346162.html

See this link. It's a place to start.

o
RE: 5hp Tecumseh fuel problem

For your engine to start--you must have compression, fuel, and spark! If you know what those terms mean-then check to see if they are present. If any one, or more are not there, then some more checking is a must do.
First: Check the fuel tank, and the cap. Make sure there is no dirt, or old gasoline in it, including scaly rust, etc.
Second: Check air filter, look for caked on dirt on the sponge type filter.
Check gas cap breather hole. Little bugs like to make their nests in that hole, which plugs it up and fuel won't flow out of tank!
Third: Check oil level, either by the dip-stick, or remove filler plug, look to see if oil is level with top of hole. Note: If you get engine to run well, then change the oil: SAE 30 will do.
Note: If you do get the engine to run,, it might be wise to change the oil.
A new spark plug is a must. Set gap to .030
Also, if it runs well, then install a fuel shut-off valve, for when it is sitting idle. The carburetor should be given a thoro cleaning. Sometimes the carb. float will stick open, and fill the crankcase with raw gasoline, witch usually ruins the engine when you try to start it. After some work, if the engine hasn't been ruined by running with low oil, or a flooded with gasoline condition, It may be ok to use. RJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here