Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Murray 3hp 2 stroke snowblower Dead

Posted by skane1 3 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 9:45

Hi guys.....
I was given an older Murray 3hp 2 stroke 20 inch snowblower by my son inlaw .It is getting fuel and has a strong spark but will not start.Not sure what is wrong so if anyone has any ideas please let me know
Thanks again Shawn....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Murray 3hp 2 stroke snowblower Dead

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 9:55

If you get out an extension cord, and set up a "trouble-light" near the engine, to warm the carburetor and intake manifold, for 30 minutes or so, you might find that the engine will start right up for you. If you can get it running, adding a small amount of "Gum-Out" or something similar to the fuel tank might improve the carburetor function, provided that you run the engine long enough. I think it takes about an hour of operation for chemical solvent carb cleaners to accomplish much. I'm not saying that this unit would not benefit from being taken apart, inspected, and cleaned as necessary on the workshop bench. However, these measures might get you going, and back in operation within the hour. Use caution when warming an engine with an incandescent light-you want to get the engine warm, like 80 degrees F, not hot.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 15:22

More often than not, the jet in the bottom of the carb is varnished. Sometimes the entire bowl is varnished. Did you drain all the old gas, including what was in the carb? Alot of times you can access the jet without removing the covers. Take it out and look at it.

These units are pretty easy to start with a rope.

o

Diaphragm carb or bowl type?

o

Hi Guys.....Thanks for all your help.....
I ended up putting removing the float bowl and cleaning it out and seems to work great! Seems to flood easy though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here