Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Me with engage blade that is disengaging on its own.

Posted by tony4005 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 10:09

Hi guys,

I wanted to see if I can get some help with my craftsman lawnmower with a Honda Engine. The problem I am having is that when I pull down the 'blade engage' lever (picture attached), the engage lever engages, but then disengages on its own. The only way I can consistently cut my grass is is to hold the lever down with some cable. Mode number for my mower is 917.377795.

I suspect that the problem is in the black housing in that picture. How can I fix this so mechanism in the housing to enjoy my mower again? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Me with engage blade that is disengaging on its own.

The problem is usually in the control yes. If you can verify that there is a slight amount of slack in the cable, then it would be in the control I'd think too. When the mechanism has enough debris that prevents the clutch arm from returning all the way, then the dog inside the control doesn't grab the tab securely enough and can release with the slightest jolt. From the pic you've posted, I would guess you have looked up the part but gulped at the 40-50$ cost. You could pull the control, split it and have a look. Maybe a tab had broken inside that you can Macgyver up w/ some super glue or chewing gum!

o

Does it mean that this steel cable can stretch a produce a slack? What is the significance of this slack? How does the presence of slack cause this kind of issue? I guess I am lost in the interplay between slack and dirt in that housing.

Secondly, if there is a slack, how do I ammend that and where?

I really appreciate your response and help thus far. Thank you.

o

No. I am saying that if the clutch arm is not returning fully below -that the mechanism inside the control may not securely grab and that COULD be a reason for the failure in operation. You could try removing the lower end of the cable and checking it that way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here