Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zuren

2-cycle gurus......this string trimmer worth fixing?

zuren
17 years ago

When I bought my house this past fall, an IDC 580 Supreme string trimmer came with it. I have never heard of IDC before then and I have no other information about it other than it's old and I think IDC was acquired through several transactions to what is now Ryobi. I have no literature or manuals.

The trimmer doesn't run very well. It idles fine, but when you hit the throttle the engine bogs, smoke rolls out the back and the head doesn't spin up very quick. I get along by "goosing" the throttle several times to spin the head up so the engine can get to full throttle without bogging. At the end of a 10-15 min. run, the muffler shield is DRIPPING with 2-cycle oil (fuel mixed 50:1).

I'm guessing this is a fuel delivery/carberator problem as the old spark plug was carboned and wet. Based on my description above, is there an easy fix? (fuel adjustment, carb rebuild, etc.) I already replaced the plug and air filter with limited improvement. I just don't want to get into a $100 repair on a 15 yr. old trimmer when I can buy a nice new one for $150 now in the off season.

Thanks!

Comments (10)