Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cochran1969

Lawnboy Help Model 7000

cochran1969
12 years ago

I am looking for an online service manual for lawnboy mowers with the "C" motor. I have the online manual that covers the D and F models but there are some things on the C brick top that is different than the D. For instance, the governor is a bit different on the C.....and a few other things.

Also, will the gasket kit for a D work on the C motors also. Some of the gaskets look a little bit different than the ones that came off my C when I took it apart.

Looking for these parts to put it all back together. Any help with a source would be appreciated.

-complete gasket set

-rings

-carb kit

-both crank seals

Trying to put this old classic back in service. Not sure why...........

John

Comments (13)

• walt2002
    12 years ago

I have lost out on LBs as it has been years now since I worked on a lot of them. If you email me, I will tell you where you can probably get your questions answered, can't do it here.

My LB book covers a lot about Cs but is mainly for Ds.

Walt Conner
    wconner5 at frontier dot com

• bogman
    12 years ago

Gaskets are mostly available. a lot of D engine gaskets will fit. The same with upper and lower seals. Also there are carb floats and float valve kits available. Also, points & condenser sets are available as well as the ignition coil. Coils on those very old mowers can get cracks in their coating causing them to fail. Engine rings aren't offered any more but you may not need them.
    I would give it a pull and check for spark . You never know it may ben in better condition than you think. Give us some more info as to it's condition.

• walt2002
    12 years ago

" Engine rings aren't offered any more but you may not need them. "

I have forgotten the model numbers and no specific "C" model number is indicated here BUT the last "C' cylinders were the same bore as the "D" and rings are still available for those.

Walt Conner

• bogman
    12 years ago

If the mower is a model 7000 as Cochran says, that's a 1956 model and the engine is a C-12, the "smallest" of the C series. Rings aren't available for that motor.

• cochran1969
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yup........that is right, it is a C-12. I found all the parts needed and the shop was local. They had been a Lawnboy dealer years ago and at one time bought out another dealer of its parts when it went out of business. The parts weren't cataloged so we spent quite a bit of time looking into many different drawers and shelves but he had the Microphish for the motor and the old numbers which was how this old stock was labeled. Only thing we didn't find was one gasket so I just made one. Now it is cleaning it all up and putting her back together.
    Question: the piston did not have any marks on it as to how it goes back into the cylinder such as markings of "top" or an arrow indicating exhaust port side-----is there supposed to be? Also, there are no pins in the ring grooves to keep the rings from turning within the cylinder and potentially getting caught on an exhaust port---do Lawnboy pistons have the pins? What about the position of the ring gaps-------what do you guys recommend since there are no pins. There are only 2 rings.

I have mixed some paint that will match the original scheme (ugly) as close as one can get and so I decided to restore her as close as one can to when she was new including the yellow lettering that I made a stencil of so I can hand paint on the motor cover. This project has taken on a life of its own. It is going to be so good looking and like new running, I am not going to want to mow with it. Anyone know of someone or a business that might be interested in displaying a 1956 Lawnboy? I don't know what I am going to do with it once I get it done. Thanks John

• bogman
    12 years ago

John,
    The wrist pin should have snap rings in each end. The Lawn Boy parts viewer shows them but you have to use 7100 (1957)for your search. Searching the 7000 mower doesn't show he motor. I'm pretty sure that the piston can go in either way. Some later motors had "top" stamped on them but I don't think the c engines do.
    Re your restoration project, I have been going to do the same thing with a 5000 series(18 inch mower). The top color when new was a maroon and the deck was a metallic medium green. Doing the lettering is whats holding me up.
    In 1956 My dad said if I got some customers, he would buy a "power mower". He bought a LB 7000. I'm still using Lawn Boys today.You can't beat them.

• Mike72
    12 years ago

bogman, I have decal set 677483, which consists of ON/OFF, instructions, and Lawn Boy in yellow letters but without the horse. I think they were for late '50s models, definitely not '60s. They are water transfers and in excellent shape in the original envelope but may be too old to use as anything but a reference.

• cochran1969
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike72, I would love those decals if you still have them. I sent you an email. thanks John

• bogman
    12 years ago

Cochran,
    The Horse disppeared in '57. The mower handle was changed to maroon, like the cowling. The '58 was, I think the same. '59 was the first year for the gold/brown color scheme.

• cochran1969
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bogman: Thank you for the followup. That explains why my 56 didn't have the horse. What color was the handle on the 56? I have seen pics where it looked "silver" and other pics that have it the same color as the brick top. Mine did not come with a handle so I can't tell. I picked up a handle from a lawn mower bone yard. Are you sure about the maroon color. I have a lot of paint left on my motor cover and it is a reddish-rust color that I have matched with a paint described as "brick" color. Perfect, I thought..........my brick top will be painted the color "brick". Thanks again for the response.

• Mike72
    12 years ago

Cochran, I did not get your email since my e-mail address was out dated. I just updated it, please resend. I still have the decals, in fact I have two sets.

• bogman
    12 years ago

Cochran, Brick is a better description of the color on the cowl. I looked at my 5000 and have to agree. That color was called "autumn rust". The handle on the '57 was the same color as the brick top. I don't know about the "58.('56 was the same as the deck). I've always thought that the early LB's had their lettering silk screened on but I don't know how to tell. The "58 uses a decal on the "lawn boy" name on the top. The Lawn Boy parts viewer shows it as a seperate part on that model but not on the earlier models. The horse started on the '55 lawn Boy, the first model that OMC (outboard marine co)put out after buying RPM manufacturing, who made the first rotary mower, called lawn boy in 1953. The motor, made by Power products, was called Iron Horse to denote ruggedness. The '55 LB had "Iron Horse" cast into the starter rewind. For '56 the horse head was on the front of the cowel. In '57, it was gone. By the way, the wheels were also the brick color although they were plastic. You could get metal wheels and paint them the brick color.

• cochran1969
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks bogman. You obviously have a lot more knowledge and, it appears, resources than I regarding lawnboys.

Everything you said above I agree with from my observations except the horse being on the 56. Everything about my 7000 says it is original right down to the wheels you described and the brick top has the Lawnboy lettering very visible (in yellow outlined in what looks like a green) but there is no horse. The original wheels are actually in pretty good shape. I appreciate you commenting on the color of the handle. I will paint it the same color as the deck. Anything else you can think of let me know. Thanks again JOHN