Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzuki1_gw

best lawn mower ever made

suzuki1
15 years ago

toro mower with suzuki 2 stroke runs stronger and faster than any of my lawn boys

Comments (17)

• walt2002
    15 years ago

"toro mower with suzuki 2 stroke runs stronger and faster than any of my lawn boys"

Well that is only part of what makes a great mower. I personally prefer one that doesn't weight a ton and clumsier than an Ox.

Walt Conner

• suzuki1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i dont think the lawn boys weigh that much.the suziki last much longer cuts through higher grass and does not bogg down

• canguy
    15 years ago

I had a Toro with the Suzuki engine and am sorry I let it go.Does anyone remember the Victa mowers Sunbeam imported in the 70's? They set out to build the best mower they could and the quality and performance were impressive.

• larryf
    15 years ago

Botag offered a basic - no frills - mower that was perhaps as tough as they come.

The mower featured:
    4 ball bearing wheels
    Aluminum deck
    4 horsepower engine with throttle control on the engine
    Engine had the short crankshaft extension.
    Sturdy handlebars that simply did not flex.
    Easiest mower on the planet to push.

This mower was assembled by a Ft Lauderdale company and sold through local mower shops. Many of the commercial guys used this mower for their walk behind jobs. I believe Botag went out of business about 7 - 8 years ago.

• lbjohn
    15 years ago

Easy. LB 22271

• walt2002
    15 years ago

"i dont think the lawn boys weigh that much.the suziki last much longer cuts through higher grass and does not bogg down"

My LB is over 40 years old weighs 45 lbs, starts and runs great. Let me know when the Suziki is that old. Of course, I cut my grass when it needs it.

Walt Conner

• suzuki1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lb 22271 honda engine that is ajoke honda engines junk unless u are talking about the gx motor.that in a mower will coast lots

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

suzuki1

What grade are you in?

• biglumber
    15 years ago

I still like the nostalgia of the d and c series lawnboys. They were very light and did a good job, especially if you had a "d" that did not have a cd problem. Cleaning out my grandfather's shed, I found 4 cd packs. He still boasted about that OMC.
    Chips down, get it done fast, i'd take the toro with the suzuki 2 stroke. Aside from pull starter issues, I never did see much wrong with that particular toro.

Peace

• equinox_grow
    15 years ago

I have a late 1950s Jacobson with the 2-cycle engine,Aluminum deck that still runs like new. Its the 2 1/4 horse model.

• plmn
    15 years ago

My dad's old Toro with the Suzuki two-stroke was a POS. Let me rephrase that: The Suzuki engine was a POS. Smokey, smelly, hard to start, frequent repairs, and early death. And the deck was heavy for its size. Only lasted about 8 years of pretty light use. He bought a cheap Briggs Murray around the same time that was used for a large and rough commercial lot that lasted longer and was easier to use.

Going off my experience, I can say with confidence that my new Toro 20092 is a superior machine in all areas but weight. So far anyways. But with a good self-propel system, who cares about weight?

• brandyanna
    15 years ago

Originally posted by plmn"" * Posted by plmn (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 4, 09 at 23:07

My dad's old Toro with the Suzuki two-stroke was a POS. Let me rephrase that: The Suzuki engine was a POS. Smokey, smelly, hard to start, frequent repairs, and early death. And the deck was heavy for its size. Only lasted about 8 years of pretty light use. He bought a cheap Briggs Murray around the same time that was used for a large and rough commercial lot that lasted longer and was easier to use.
    Going off my experience, I can say with confidence that my new Toro 20092 is a superior machine in all areas but weight. So far anyways. But with a good self-propel system, who cares about weight? "

Your opinion is contrary to 96% of commercial mowers who love that mower and claim it never will die.....myself included. A problem machine does happen occasionally but usually the problem is more of a reflection of the mechanic or owner, not the machine. Synthetic oil at the right ratio and smell/smoke is a non issue.

• indy452
    15 years ago

I have three commercial Toro's. All of which are slightly different than the other but generally the same. I use the 22040 and the 22035 the most for semi commercial lawn mowing nine months of the year. Those Toro's are tough as nails and have a die hard personality.
    All of mine have the two cycle suzuki engine and they run exactly the same year after year. The two cycle Suzuki is one engine I really don't know how to rebuild because I never have had to do it.

I believe that the Suzuki two cycle engine and the Wisconsin Robin engines used on select Snapper mowers to be the best built engines still in use today.

Neal

• equinox_grow
    15 years ago

Can anybody tell me who made the engine on the Jacobson mentioned above? My Dad thought it was a clinton but I thought Jacobson made their own 2 cycle engines then. With the Lawnboy mix it doesnt hardly smoke at all. Never had the carburetor apart and it runs like new. The gas tank leaks a little which I will fix and it would use some better wheels. The starter doesnt always catch perfectly but the beauty part of this thing is if things are right you only need to pull it once twice at the very most before you are off to the races. This thing has NEVER failed us when it was needed in the 34 years we have had it. Aluminum deck so it is structurally just like new.

• plmn
    15 years ago

Your opinion is contrary to 96% of commercial mowers who love that mower and claim it never will die.....myself included. A problem machine does happen occasionally but usually the problem is more of a reflection of the mechanic or owner, not the machine. Synthetic oil at the right ratio and smell/smoke is a non issue.

-----

I've owned and used many 2-strokes throughout my life, from snowmobiles to lawn mowers to snowblowers. Now, maybe this was just a problem machine. But what is not disputable is that 2-strokes are much dirtier than 4-strokes no matter how you maintain them or mix the oil.

Two-strokes have an advantage in power to weight but many disadvantages. Our Suzuki-powered Toro was a smelly POS, that statement is a fact. Dismiss that however you would like, but I would not want a new mower with that engine based on my experience. That statement is just opinion.

• Harry Schultze
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have a Toro super recycler that was made in 1995. Still runs & looks like it's brand new. Aluminum deck 5.5 horsepower Briggs & Stratton engine. The best lawn mower I have ever used! I know someone that has one that's over 30 years old and it still runs like it's brand new. Now that's how a lawn mower should be made.