Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hydrostatic transmission husqvarna 1542

Posted by steve.weatherly none (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 23:23

Hi, I bought this unit with 500hrs on clock, I mow 2.5 acres, the first time didn't miss a beat, yesterday however after I got it back home I noticed what I can only describe like a " grinding of gears sound " and I had no forward or reverse. After a little play around I took the back plate off to gain access to the trannie, there seemed to be a lot of grass and debris that I didn't clean away when I bought it. I sprayed a bit of wd40 and manually manipulated what looks like a strut or shock absorber. It seemed to run after that. Is there something more sinister lurking or is this the best approach to fixing it..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hydrostatic transmission husqvarna 1542

I am trying to remember the function of this little shock on a Husqvarna. Is it in the main linkage? On a common hydro, there is a bypass lever- which of course has to be fully disengaged, the brake arm and the main drive link. Also, if you have the full model # that could be helpful.

o

I will look into the model # tonight, its not listed in the manual however...I will repost it later on

o

I have the assumption that the shock absorber attaches to the main linkage, but after looking -I didn't see one in the LT Husqvarna I had looked up. Some LTs do however, though I've not ever had to replace one- so i don't know if it would be a Hydrogear part or? I can't say that it would explain the noise either. I have seen worn input pulleys/ fans make that noise. Maybe a clip is off the top of the shaft?

o

The model is YTH1542XP BUILT 2004

I'm a bit pressed for time so can't take the cover plate off atm. It may be a dampener of some sort. I need to look up online I think for the tranny.

o

I have inspected and I think its a better system than using a spring to return the drive back to neutral. I have sprayed around again and tested the mower, it has a much better responce even just touching the pedals now they actually depress with no effort. I will test it in a couple weeks when next time I need to mow....the part number is
.HYDRO-GEAR #51703. part # C16-22622

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here