Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snapperfreak

Snapper commercial refurb

snapperfreak
9 years ago

This is the 1986 snapper 21500PC that I found in the summer of 2013. This picture is after I tore it apart, sandblasted it, primed and painted it and added some new parts. It had been shabily painted when I got it, if it were original paint I would have left it alone. This was the last mower I took completely apart and repainted and I don't plan on doing this again but thought I'd post this. I spent most of the summer completing the project. New parts included wheels, bag chute, throttle cable, belts, springs and decals. I since have parted it out, kept the new parts and got rid of the painted deck. I did keep the engine and put it onto a 1979 21500PC deck. That deck had a non-running 3.5hp briggs on it so the 5hp was a perfect fit.

Comments (8)

• rdaystrom
    9 years ago

I know how much work it was to refurbish that Snapper. Lawnmowers in general have to be "a labor of love" because they are so much work to restore. You did a good job on it. I hated to hear that it had already been parted out.

• snapperfreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, yes it was an enjoyable project to tackle. I did use it several times before deciding to part it out. As much as I liked how it turned out I decided I liked original-condition snappers best. I'll clean them up as much as possible but no more stripping and painting. But its parts were donated to other good mowers. The engine went onto my '79 commercial, the wheels are on my '87 2-cycle wisconsin robin, and the red grip from the speed selector lever went onto another mower but I can't remember which! Pictured is the '79 that I really like using. I like the steel rear guard they used back then!

• Greg Goyeneche
    9 years ago

I think the old 130000 series flat head Briggs was a great engine. Lot of power and torque because of the large 13cid/200cc displacement, but did use a lot of fuel. The Honda GXV160 had comparable horsepower (5.5hp) but used about 25% less fuel. The Bigger Briggs Quantum (12cid/190cc) was also good and had comparable horsepower, but not quite as much "grunt" (torque).

I had Snapper like yours from the mid 80's but slightly later as it had the zone start. Had all of the other commercial goodies such as handle braces, steel wheels (ball bearing in front), wide handle bars, etc. Bought it from a co-worker about 1988 and got rid of it prior to moving from Los Angeles to Princeton in 2000.

• snapperfreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

True, these old briggs 13-series are monsters. Heavy too. Here's another I recently found and, instead of tearing down and reprinting, I just cleaned up. A nylon brush, simple green and a little orange gritty hand cleaner can go a long way. It cleaned up fairly easily but the engine was frozen so the owner let it go for only $20. A shot of wd40 in the plug hole fixed that, then took apart the starter clutch and cleaned that up and now it runs. It won't stay running long so a carb cleaning is next but it does run. And it cleaned up really nice, had to have been kept indoors. Got it from the original owners son, it's a 1983 model. The bag on it in the pic is one of my new-old-stock bags (just for display) but once the carb is cleaned I'll be using this one frequently.

• snapperfreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For example, here's a pic when I first brought it home, before any cleaning....

• snapperfreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

...and after. Engine came off and a LOT of old dirt and grass was removed but the original finish is really shiny still for being 32 years old.

• rdaystrom
    9 years ago

Nice cleaning job. Is that a crack in the top of the deck? Looks like a stress crack over by that bolt. Maybe it's just a scratch.

• snapperfreak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, no that's just the bracket holding part of the drive assembly to the deck. I haven't found any cracks in the deck so far.