Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jscozz_gw

Shed size

jscozz
14 years ago

I am trying to figure out an appropriate shed size for garden equipment... nothing better than real world use.

I need to store 42" tractor, push mower, snow blower, weed whacker, etc. The main thing I am concerned about is the tractor and making sure I have room for other lawn equipment and still be able to maneuver around in the shed.

What size shed do you store your lawn equipment in?

Comments (11)

• rdaystrom
    14 years ago

Try parking the units in the backyard in an imaginary space. Use a water hose as an imaginary outline or "wall". Take measurements. This might help you figure out how big of a shed to buy or build.

• rustyj14
    14 years ago

There is an old saying about the subject: No matter how large you make it--it won't be big enough to get everything inside of it, and close the door-s!
    Been there, done that!
    So, figure out how big you need it to ne, then double the size, and you won't be disappointed next fall.

• tomplum
    14 years ago

What Rusty says is true. Unless you have space constraints, a 10X12 at least gives you some nudge room. Much of the country that uses UBC I think you won't even need to permit it. Check those regs! Also, think about the floor, ramp and ventilation. If you need overhead storage IE for lumber- now's the time to plan that in. By me, it is kind of a wet environment and I see equipment all the time that has mildew growing on it as it sits in a shed w/ gravel or screening floor.

• walt2002
    14 years ago

Ditto Rusty!

"I think you won't even need to permit it. Check those regs! "

We live in a small rural mid-west town and you do have to have a permit for ANY size building.

• perrymk
    14 years ago

I purchased a 10x12 (pre-wired, anchored, rated to 130mph winds, 3/4in pt floor, etc) because that was the max size not requiring a permit. As I understand it (and this may not apply to where others live), anything greater than 120sf requires a permit. A permit triggers a visit from the property tax assessor. I live in Floride where we have a homestead exemption. I have lived in the same house for more than 10 years, and the market value has risen faster than what the homestead exemption allows the assessed value to rise. That means re-assessment would result in a (in my case) significant increase in property taxes.

I should mention that a portion of the value of the improvement (shed) was added to the assessed value of my property, but the rest of the property was not subject to re-assessment.

More germaine to your question, well planned shelves make a small space a much more efficient storage space.

• jscozz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I can build 200 ft2 without permit. I am going to build it myself on slab. I have been laying things out with 13x16 size and it seems OK... I am planning a side double door entrance. Just trying to see if I will regret not making it larger just because of the permit.

• walt2002
    14 years ago

"I should mention that a portion of the value of the improvement (shed) was added to the assessed value of my property, but the rest of the property was not subject to re-assessment"

As has been said, regs. will vary from not only state to state but community to community. Here, if it is on runners, skids, it is considered personal property because it can be moved and not subject to tax but a permit is still needed. IF it is on concrete, it is real property and subject to real estate taxes and of course a permit.

Walt Conner

• lbgold94
    14 years ago

I purchased a 8Ft. wide by 16Ft. long wooden/pine shed made by the Amish in 1992 with a regular roof ^ to match my house - not a barn type roof. I use CWF - Clear Wood Finish - about every other year to preserve the wood - takes about 1.5 to 2 gallons - brushed on. We poured a concrete pad for the shed about 8.5Ft. wide by 20Ft. long by 6 inches deep/thickness - to give an apron in front of the doors. It is a great shed and has held up really well.

I recommend you take a look at the Big Max Ultra shed by Rubbermaid sold at Home Depot - see links below: Good luck with whatever you choose.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/SubCategoryLanding.aspx?SubCatId=BigMaxFamily&CatName=Outdoor

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatName=Outdoor&SubcatId=BigMaxFamily&Prod_ID=RP091371

• mml4
    14 years ago

The best investment I made in my shed was to install an overhead garage door. I bought a relatively inexpensive fiberglass 4 panel model and never once regreted the additional cost. The added convenience can't be over stated.
    Marc

• canguy
    14 years ago

I just put up a 10x12 shed package, the largest allowed without a permit. It sits on blocks, not a permanent foundation. I don't have a garage so this will double as a small shop. Going to tie into the 15A outlet outside the fence for lights and hand tools, hope nobody takes undue notice. It is already too small but can live with it.

• roadbike
    14 years ago

13x16 is a fair size shed. However, if you think you may in the future need room for a work table, tool storage, etc., now is the time to do it.