Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iamthere_gw

Old-fashioned non-motorized lawn mower

iamthere
13 years ago

how well do they cut. Would they cut better if they were to be pushed faster? I am asking, because I want to modify a three wheel bicycle into an electric riding lawn mower.

Comments (4)

• perrymk
    13 years ago

Are you referring to the reel type mowers? I used to use one. They work OK in the right conditions. They work best on wide blade grass that isn't allowed to get too long. Faster is better up to a point. The blades need to be spinning, but I doubt running would make a better cut than a quick walk.

I'm guessing you want to attach two or three to your trike. I'd like to see it when you get it put together.

Good luck!

• rustyj14
    13 years ago

Well, if you could find 3 old reel mowers, clean them up and make them work well, you could cobble up a 3-way hitch, with the mowers in a forward pointing trangle pattern, and having the mower swath overlap each other, so it would cut when you turn, i suppose, if you had legs like a sumo wrestler, you just might be able to pull the rig across the lawn------but, i seriously doubt it.
    Thats why, when the mower makers sell what they call gang mowers, they are pulled by gasoline engines (or diesel) powered tractors, etc.
    But, this country was built by folks who tried a lot of ideas, and a lot of them worked, all be it, with lots of modifications. Thats why the old human powered plows were soon discarded in favor of using a mule, horse, cow, or some other kind of animal, to pull the plows.
    When i first moved into my new home, the yard was large, and pushing a non-powered lawn mower was a daunting experience, especially for a guy with one artificial leg! (me) A few years of paying the neighbor kid to mow it resulted in my buying a self propelled riding mower.
    This Country was built by people trying new things, so go for it!

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

The first power mowers were reels, because the best lawns of the time were were like a putting green. With the advent of the rotary power mower, Fescue grasses became popular with their higher cutting height. The reel mower is not suitable for Fescue cutting heights and it can't mulch. It can have a grass catcher which works fairly well. So for certain grasses with low cutting height (1.5" or less) a reel mower may be feasible, and a non-powered reel might work for an area of 5000 sg ft or less.

• roadbike
    13 years ago

Are you asking about a reel mower? Interesting idea.

A reel mower will give a nice flat cut if the blade and bed are set up properly and if the blade speed and machine speed are properly matched.

A couple of things to consider when designing your mower. It's going to take a fair amount of pedal effort to move a pedaled tricycle as well as spin the reel and tow a mower through grass at the proper speed. Are your legs up to the effort? Try riding the lawn just using a tricycle and see how it goes.

The act of pushing a reel mower causes some downward force which improves mower wheel traction. You may need to fiddle with the tow bar or whatever connection you use to attain the right grip.

Finally, you will need to mow frequently otherwise your pdeal mower will bog down.