Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mvron

craftsman 6.5 hood hole

mvron
10 years ago

Any ideas where I can get a replacement hood. I've looked all over the internet. Also ideas on how I cdan patch the hole. thanks..

Comments (13)

• tomplum
    10 years ago

Post back the model and type # off the engine. It is stamped above the muffler IE 125K02-0128-B2 . That way I don't have to guess, but these are quite common.

• mvron
    Original Author
    10 years ago

123k02-0258-E1 . Not sure about the first three digits. Either 123 or 125. Thanks..

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Either of those numbers could be legit.
    The IPL's for both list 10 different blower housing covers that can be used.
    8 of them are in common.

Suggest you go to the Briggs website and download the IPL for that engine.
    One of the differences is not shown in your photo. Air cleaner covered or not??? (I think)

It appears yours may be the 921G.
    Briggs PN 790701
    The only ones I see are Black though.

IF it were mine, I'd probably get so red duct tape.
    It's not like it's a Honda-

This post was edited by bill_kapaun on Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 21:15

• mvron
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had my wife look at the numbers - her eyes are much better than mine. It's a 123.

• mvron
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The air cleaner has a black cover on top of the carb. The black cover is not part of the red blower housing. The red blower housing cover slips next to the black cover on top of the air filter - the black cover is not physically connect to the red blower housing cover.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

A pic from the other side would show what's needed to be seen.
    OR
    You could download the IPL and look at the different ones yourself, as I suggested.

• bob_k
    10 years ago

Did you check and see if it's available from Sears Parts Direct?

• mvron
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bill_kapaun - Would you know if the 6.75 - 795604 is the same size as the blower housing that fits on the 6.50. I found the 6.75 on Ebay. No such luck with the 6.50.

• tomplum
    10 years ago

Bill is right on the number. You can also search by the new # 795064 . Ebay has some used as possibly a person that sells used parts. Probably any Quantum style shroud would fit I'd think. $32 list new. Repairing really isn't an option. I think bill sells Honda shroud retrofit kits for 25$ :)

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

tomplum came up with the new part#

Likely the difference between a 6.5 & 6.75 is the decal.

One of the reasons I suggest download the IPL is you get the latest part numbers. Not one I came up with in a manual I downloaded a couple years ago.
    I have 795 files in my "Briggs" folder. Don't really have the time to constantly check for updates!

This post was edited by bill_kapaun on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 12:11

• mvron
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Tom and Bill. I may roll the dice and get the 6.75 on Ebay and see if it fits. You all have a good day.

• MantonJohn
    10 years ago

I vote for the red duct tape!

• 1saxman
    10 years ago

This looks like the part, but its black. Doesn't really matter. You can usually get the decal set too.

Here is a link that might be useful: 795064 Cover