Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Engine Tachometer

Posted by williaea pa (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 28, 07 at 11:32

Hi!

I was wondering what you guys use as a tachometer to check small engine RPM's. I have both 2 cycle (Lawnboy) and multiple 4 cycle (snow blower, chipper shredder, pressure washer) machines and I am just looking for something cheap that I can use to check my engine speeds. The old dwell/tach meters that the sold for cars don't work do they?

Thanks - and apologies for the stupid question

Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Engine Tachometer

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 28, 07 at 12:06

It certainly is not a stupid question. Briggs and Stratton has an inexpensive vibra tach that is reasonably accurate. Hold it against the engine and rotate the dial until the wire reaches it's widest sweep. It is difficult to work with on hand held equipment though, you need four hands. The digital impulse tachs are great but not cheap.

o

I agree with canguy, I have and use a Vibra-tech also. They are a simple tach that operate off of engine vibration and I believe that they are plenty accurate for small engine work. Tecumseh sells the same unit for less than Briggs does, both are the same unit that is made in Germany. They are quick and easy to use, I got mine from www.RCPW.com the part Number is Tecumseh 670156 and cost me $11.62 back in 8/05. If you want to call them their name is: Sohars All Season Mower Serv. Macedonia, Ohio Phone # 330-467-1332 Good luck!

o

Vibra tach. Treysit sirometer.

Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: wunderbar

o

Try this http://www.shipstoday.net/products/Small-Engine-Tachometer-Hours-Meter.html I got one for a little boat and it seems to work pretty accurately.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small engine tachometer

o

Thanks for the find!

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Engine Tachometer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here