Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Bad service from a walk-behing:

rustyj14
13 years ago

Since i deal in inexpensive lawn mowers (used/reconditioned) and sell them at reasonable prices, i don't usually get many come-backs from folks complaining about what they had bought from me. If it doesn't last, is not running, i stand behind my work, and treat the customers fairly.

So, yesterday, i was talking to a friend whose neighbor had bought an older self-propelled mower, from me, last summer. I think he paid $40 for it. I used it for a time, but sold it to him. The friend said he had gone to the man's home, and he was complaining about how the mower would just bog down and stall, every time he tried to mow with it. Said i cheated him.

Well, my friend checked, and found the man would try to push it thru high grass, like 2 ft. high, and it would stall out! He'd get it started again, and do the same thing, and it would stop running. And, that man is college educated! What is that saying? "Dumb as a box of rocks?"

Comments (7)

• tomplum
    13 years ago

Now, now Rusty. You probably told him it was a 22" mower so he just assumed that it should go through that high of grass!

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

'You probably told him it was a 22" mower so he just assumed that it should go through that high of grass!'

Good one!

• baymee
    13 years ago

It's not unusual from a small percentage of the college educated. A few have an attitude about the lesser schooled. But, like I say, the doctor can't live without the garbage collector.

• orangedotfever
    13 years ago

Education and common sense are not one in the same. I have a daughter with a masters degree who is the same way.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, i agree. I had one mower come back after a month of use. Man said he couldn't pull the starter rope. I was busy, so he left it and went home. Later i checked it, and pulled the dip-stick, and oil ran out the fill tube, and upon looking in it, i saw it was full to the top with fresh oil! I tried, but couldn't get the oil out of everything inside the block, so it got another engine. The owner said to just keep it. He said he had changed the oil, and couldn't understand why so little drained out, but it took so much more to refill it! DUHHHhh

• roadbike
    13 years ago

"And, that man is college educated!"

He should have taken Home Maintenance 101 as an elective!

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In one of the previous messages about how to change a Troy tiller belt, i didn't send him an answer, as the guy evidently did not know the secret of how to learn the process. My way is to sit down on a box, with an extension light, and look at the thing for a while, and wiggle things, move levers, and eventually I'd figger it out.
    One warning, to those who could never put Grampaws gold watch back together, when as a kid, you took it apart:
    If you aren't mechanically inclined--put the screw-driver and the hammer back in the box, and look for the phone number of a repair shop!
    Some time back, it was determined that the cause of poor shifting of Troy-bilt tillers (older ones) was caused by the use of late model type transmission gear oil. The older stuff had sulphur in it. The new oil would not keep the bronze sliding gears working right. And, i think they expected them to shift like a Model A Ford car. Most of the folks who wrote in with that trouble said they had changed the tranny oil to the late type.