Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honda GCV160 Automatic Choke Issue

Posted by killerv (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 08 at 13:30

I have a Type 4 GCV160 with the automatic choke return. The automatic choke return has worked great until recently. When you start the mower, the choke is supposed to return to the closed position. The past few times I have used it, it has not and I had to manually move it to the closed position. I have been getting some black smoke after starting the mower since this has been happening and so far I think it may be because of the excessive fuel its getting until I can get the choke turned off. Anyway, mower runs fine but I would like some opinions to why my automatic choke return just stopped returning. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honda GCV160 Automatic Choke Issue

Yes the black smoke indicates an over-rich mixture. You need to get it fixed - sounds like a spring broke or slipped off - before the rich mixture causes damage in the cylinder by washing out the oil film. There may be a free fix for this at the Honda dealer IIRC.

o
RE: Honda GCV160 Automatic Choke Issue

thanks, that's what I was thinking about the black smoke. I called the local shop and they said they have seen this before and have not heard or seen any issues where a problem ever occured afterwards. I can't see where any springs attach to the choke lever so it must be something internal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here