Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

Need advice on a "walk behind" mower

Hi Folks,

Usually hang out at the Tool Shed and Lawn & Garden Tractor forums, but thought I'd run this question by you folks.

Mow 4+ Acres, have a GT, couple of LT's and so forth. I'm getting really tired of hearing the MD tell me I've got to start working out more. I own a farm and keep pretty busy, admittedly, not as physical as I used to be. Also, I've only gained 15 pounds since I was discharged from the marines in '70. OK, then I had a 24" waist, now it's pushing 36"....:-) OK, he's right.

So, Not being the type who can intentionally "work out" thinking of mowing some of the lawn with a push mower-not self propelled. That would provide the motivation to exercise. Problem is, I don't know much about push mowers. I have a 35 year old push mower with a 3HP Briggs I use for trimming, but it wouldn't last long if used to mow an acre or two. The wheels fell off and I replaced them with "cheap" replacement plastic wheels.

Started looking around and noticed that Lowe's has Troy Bilt mowers with Honda engines. I saw one for $249 with the large rear wheels which I would definitely want. This was online so don't know if the wheels are plastic, gauge of the deck or anything like that.

Guess I would start mowing a half acre with the push mower and then increase it to an acre or so, that should provide a good work out. Some of the ground is "rough" and the riders would still be used for that.

What is a "good" push mower in today's market? Oh, I do all my own mechanical, etc. work so that's not an issue.

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Comments (4)