Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
icefisher1

Help with identifying coil for 10301 LB

icefisher
10 years ago

I need some help! I have a 1994 model 10301 L B silver series that I am about ready to junk. While using it one day it suddenly slowed to a stop. It sounded like it just ran out of gas. I filled it up even though there was a small amount of gas still in the tank. I then pulled the starter rope until my arms fell off! I checked for spark because I had been having problems with moisture in the coil. By the way, I have found that I could place a 60 watt light bulb in close proximity to the coil and cover it with a piece of aluminum foil for about 24 hours. This would typically solve the problem for quite awhile until moisture once again invaded the coil. Anyway, I then pulled the carburetor and cleaned that. The mower refused to start. Next, I checked the compression and found it to be less than stellar. I pulled the engine apart to see if the rings were shot or if the cylinder wall was scored. These appeared to be OK. What I did find is that the seals were toast. Once reassembled the engine has terrific compression. When I tried to start it this time after priming, there was a distinct pop like it wanted to fire. I was pretty excited thinking that the next pull would certainly start the mower. Unfortunately that was not the case. The engine never showed any more signs of life other than the one pop. The only thing I can come up with is that even though I see a spark at the plug, the coil is not up to snuff. In viewing this forum, one contributor commented that LB coils have two modes of operation. in one mode they fire to start and in the second mode they run the engine. Is it possible that the spark I am seeing is from the second mode of operation, and the primary mode is not functional? The numbers on the coil are 684048 24 HS E. When I go on line to try to find a replacement, the coils that are supposed to be replacements do not even remotely look like the one that is in the mower. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your help. Icefisher

Comments (5)