Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ZTR mowers towing carts and other things

Posted by terryhflyer GA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 16:05

I got a question about ztr mowers. I am thinking about a JD Z425 and most ZTRs that I have seen don't have a hitch on the back. Can you install one? Can you tow a cart of mulch, wood, some bricks behind these types of mowers? Also what about a dethatcher and aerators? I have never seen one towing anything before. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ZTR mowers towing carts and other things

I can understand why they don't have a hitch on the back! Just think how many law suits they'd have, if dumbo's installed a tow hitch, hooked up a cart, then went on to use it like they did with their old, conventional lawn tractor, etc. Would they try backing it with the cart on it? Oh, yes they would! And, do you think that just possibly they might turn the machine over right quick? Oh, yes! And, do you think the owner would sue the mower maker for his injuries, after the thing tipped over? Oh, yes!
The fact that a tow hitch is not installed keeps the law suits from happening. And the mfgrs. know that. And, if you did install a towing hitch, that will nullify the guarantee's and any chance you would have to sue for injuries or damages. Altering anything kills chances of suing, in most cases.
I'm not a lawyer, but those are the things/reasons why they don't install a tow hitch/bar/rear plate on a zero turn mower! JMHO: Rusty Jones

o

AM137381 Is the part #.

o

My Kubota has a hitch and is the best tow vehicle I have for around the yard. I towed a 12 foot trailer full of shingles once. Anyway you do have to be aware of the tongue weight and don't ever overload it from that standpoint.

o

When I went shopping for a new ZTR a few years ago, all the big names offered a hitch for them. They wanted you to pay more for it but it was available. If the factory makes it as an option, they won't void the warranty if you have it installed and use it correctly.

o

Sure you can use a zero turn mower for towing. It will pull or push just like a tractor, albeit one that turns on a dime. Remember to not use the zero turning ability at the extreme when towning and all will be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here