Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twd13

Honda HRB216TDA Pinion Gear and Transmission

twd13
12 years ago

Hello lawn and garden experts. I've been using these forums trying to troubleshoot my walk behind Honda mower which drives the wheels without a load but ceases to when put back on the ground. It appears a pretty common problem, but I had started with the easy stuff. I have replaced the belt and all the cables (the speed cable was in BAD shape!) with no joy.

Everything seems adjusted correctly, so I think I'm basically down to replacing the transmission (which is relatively inexpensive at about $120). However, at this point I'm not certain I have the pinion gears installed correctly. There's clearly one correct way and a variety of incorrect ways based upon whether the spring loaded key is installed curve up or curve down and also whether the gear itself has the ratcheting "stop" toward the direction of rotation (the rear) or away. (And for all I know, right and left may be different).

Can anyone provide insight on the correct installation of these and maybe a test to let me know when I've got it right?

Also, once I've got that right, I'll probably be ready to tackle the transmission replacement. Any sage words of advice? I'm fairly mechanically capable and so far have had the right tools to the point where I almost had the transmission out anyway. I stopped just short of removing the axles from the trans itself; is it fairly straightforward from that point?

I'm going to try to see if I can post a picture of the pinion gear as a point of reference). Thanks in advance for the help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of Left side drive gear and key

Comments (2)