Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candler_gw

1971 Sears SS-14 B&S Point Gap

candler
13 years ago

Howdy. In searching the Net I read some of your comments about vintage lawn tractors. I thought maybe someone here might help me. I've had this mower since about 1974. It hasn't run for maybe fifteen years. I got it started but am not sure if the points are right. Does anyone know what the gap might be? Thanks, Gene

Comments (8)

• tomplum
    13 years ago

.020 Nice tractor!

• candler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Tom. I've not yet gotten back to the mower. I'm very bad to jump from one project to another. At times it has taken a year to get back. I don't know if that's typical of we old guys (77) or not. The info you furnished will definitely help. It wasn't sparking at the plug. I removed the points and cleaned the faces with fine sandpaper. I took a guess with the gap and saw a spark. The plug also showed spark. With starting fluid the mower came alive. I've been all over it and have even removed some parts trying to find a serial number. It's a 1971 B&S 14HP single piston motor. Any thoughts. Thanks again. Gene

• tomplum
    13 years ago

The engine will have a serial # stamped in the shroud. The fuel system certainly will need attention. Flush out the tank, new lines, filters and a carb rebuild I'd think. You can get into trouble with those carbs. You may want to take a pic of the links or draw a diagram and have it serviced for you. Below is a great link that I gleaned from another poster on this forum. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage sears site

• candler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the followup, Tom. I did what you said about the tank. Sure did seem to be a lot of rust flakes flushing out. I'd also put a new gas line and filter on.

I had an second carb from maybe twenty five years ago. Apparently the only reason I replaced it was I lost its Welch Plug. I didn't know what a WP plug was until now. It looks like an thin auto engines freeze plug and covers the hole at an end of the carb base. Well, rather than doing a complete rebuild of the existing carb I installed a new WP and installed the old carb. It worked.

Thanks to you I once again began looking for the serial number. Everyone had convinced me it was stamped on the motor in the vicinity of the engine head. Not for this one. I found a bradded metal plate on the mower frame behind the 1,2,3,R gears. After scrubbing I found 9172560 and they quickly hit on a Google for my mower. Thanks again. Gene

• candler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello again. Your .020 was right on the money. Do you happen to know what weight oil it uses and whether it's a high detergent or non detergent? I use to have the manuals but apparently no longer. For the present it's running as smooth and strong as it use to. Not bad for what it's been through. I have the deck but rust has taken its toll. I've still got my plow/hitch, chains, and snow blade. Thanks again. Gene.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

Glad to hear that it is up and purring again. Every once in a while someone will ask me for non detergent oil. Even though when this was new, many would have used non detergent oil- I personally would use the detergent now. Some will say that the new detergent oil may loosen up the old grunge. If the oil blackens in a hurray , change it again.

• candler
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello, Tom. It's been a month and my SS-14 is still chugging away. I've done little more than previously mentioned other than a gas line and filter. I need to find or make an air filter. My new gas line rubbed against the drive belt so I think I'll replace it with copper. The unit has had a workout. I found it was much easier to pull some 10"-12" logs rather than using my truck. About a week ago my SIL borrowed it. He loaded my SS-14 and my pull cart on my trailer. He's been cutting/relocating firewood that's been at their house. Now he wants to use my plow for a small garden. I think he's really becoming attached to it but I'll bring an end to that in about a week . Thanks again. Gene

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

Use SAE 30. Nobody was using non-detergent oil in 1970. That went ount in the '50s.