Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mower just won't quit.

Posted by topsiebeezelbub z7 Al (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 21:02

The last couple days were lovely, so I got out my Honda HRR216VYA, a little over a year old, and started bagging the leaves on my lawn. It starts great, runs just fine, but when I turn to the Stop setting it keeps running. I came in for a cup of coffee, checked my email, and it was still running when I went back out! The service guy will charge a fortune to look at it. I had stabilizer in the gas. I finally engaged the blades and mowed really slow until it quit. What could be its problem? Overachiever?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mower just won't quit.

Maybe a quick cable adjustment is all you need. The control when pulled back, contacts a stop switch. You will want to see that it is being activated. A wire leaves that switch and goes to the ignition coil under the shroud. Basically it supplies a ground to the coil to stop the engine.

o

If you can't figure it out you can shut the gas off. You should be doing that anyway after you are thru using it.

o

"a little over a year old" You would think less than two years old it may be under warranty?

I got one that wont' die also as in give up the ghost. It's been pulled out of the trash twice. Freebee on side of the road, ran it for 4 years, gave it to my son, he ran it for 3 years, discarded in the trash pile. I again drug it home, cleaned out the gas tank and carb. decarbonized the head, changed the oil, and Bam fired right up. Most would call it cheap crappie craftsman with TEC flat head engine. But I still starts on the second or third pull and is at least 15 years old.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here