Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rangerdon_gw

Buy a Lawnboy?

rangerdon
13 years ago

I'm going to an auction next week that has a Lawnboy 10684 in nearly new condition. Really. It's a little bit dusty, starts easily & just purrs. Even has the manual. Anyone have advice on what it's worth or if I should pass it up? Haven't used a Lawnboy since about '73, so I know nothing about them anymore.

Thanx

Don

Comments (5)

• tomplum
    13 years ago

It is a nice mower. Looks like the engine is a Tecumseh. Not a favorite of mine, but if it purrs along nicely- what more does a guy need. Know that they are not in business, but as a general rule you can get what you need.

• walt2002
    13 years ago

Most "Dyed in the Wool" Lawn Boy enthusiasts prefer the 2 stroke Lawn Boy Engine and only consider those "real LBs", it is a matter of what you are happy with.

Walt Conner

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

The LB 10684 is a great mower. The Tecumseh engine has loads of power and is easy-starting and well-governed. Variable Speed drive is simple and effective. I've had mine about five years now. It shares the stable with a LB22271, basically a 10684 on steroids - same design but aluminum deck, steel commercial bearing wheels, Honda GSV190 Commercial engine and Variable Speed drive. I like to use the 10684 down in my ditch by the road because it's lighter and more maneuverable than the 22271, but some dys I use it for the whole yard. Both mowers take the same blades and bags. They both mulch and bag well. You can get a discharge chute if you plan on doing any side discharge.
    There is one thing about the Tecumseh - you must use Sta-Bil Marine concentrate in the fuel always. Put it in the can when you fill it at the station. There is a brass bolt holding the float bowl to the carb. This bolt is also the metering orifice and it has a tiny bleed at the top of the threads that looks like a spec. When this clogs up it won't run. Easy to fix, but the stabilizer prevents the problem. I also use Marvel Mystery Oil in my outdoor stuff.
    {{gwi:126956}}

• rangerdon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanx for the input, guys. I think I'll bid on this one.
    Walt, I totally agree about the old 2-strokers. I used Dad's after he died....when I was overseas later it got used with straight gas. Made it thru one lawn & then expired, darn it.
    Don

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

Toro bought LB in the '80s. They made 2-cycles until about 2004 when EPA regs forced the big 2-cycle mower engine out. They continued to make some innovative 4-cycle mowers but now LB is all but gone from the scene. Toro continues to make a red version of my commercial LB and is making good use of the other innovations from the defunct LB division.
    I guess if I were bidding on the 10684 I might limit my bid to $175.