Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
craftsman/honda gcv 160 auto choke failure.

Posted by mvron (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 23:39

Parden me but I thought I should start this over and include everything I can think of in this post. The auto choke is not working. The mower does not have a throttle. Today I moved the choke lever to full choke, when I pulled the control bar (start bar), the auto choke lever moves twords the full run position. No matter what I do, the choke plate on the carb never moves - to full choke or any other position. The carb has been replaced. I use 10w-30 oil. When I get the machine started - with starter fluid - it runs just fine. I assume that I will be taking the recoil starter, and tank off to view the auto choke mechanism. How do I take the tank off? When the start bar is pulled (when starting), at that point the choke lever begins to move to full run - but nothing happens at the choke plate. What should I be looking for when I get full view of the auto choke mechanism? When sitting at idle and moving the choke lever to full choke, the choke plate on the carb never moves. Sorry for the long note. I love my Briggs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: craftsman/honda gcv 160 auto choke failure.

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 5:54

I don't recall working on the carb of this model before, but you said in your OP that you replaced the carb. Since the choke doesn't work at all, I would look for something that you might have overlooked when you replaced the carb.

o

It didn;'t work before the new carb either - but that surely is a option. If I can find a schematic or diagram of that I will proceed with that. Thanks..

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 15:14

It won't be long and mowers will start coming into the shop and I'm sure I'll see one like yours soon. If you haven't figured it out, I will take pics.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here