Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
den_k

Tecumseh engine leaks oil from top

den_k
15 years ago

I have a Toro lawn mower with a 6.5 hp Tecumseh model LV195EA engine. It's about 1-1/2 years old. Ran fine to late last year, about October I noticed it. It leaks oil from the top of the engine when it is running. Running only. The oil comes out and runs down the engine onto the deck of the mower. I took the cover off, and it looks like the oil could be coming out of the breather assy. The carburetor is not fouled; the oil just leaks out the top, or so I think, since I couldn't remove the flywheel (don't have a tool) and really inspect the breather. The mower is used once a week year 'round. This is really annoying since I have to add oil every time I use the mower. Any suggestions if this is the problem how to fix? I would appreciate it.

Comments (12)

• johninmd
    15 years ago

i have a smaller tec engine on a yard vac, if full it pushes oil from breather, if low on oil it doesnt, i hardly mess with it but doesn't look like anything is wrong, no idea why it does it, annoying for sure. Engine doesn't have many hours on it either, i got it from brother who claimed it always did it.
    So.. just saying, sorry i cant help ya.

• 1saxman
    15 years ago

#1 Crankcase pressure from a non-functioning positive vent system. May be a cracked or disconnected PCV hose. This has been posted here before, but I don't remember the details of how that system works.
    #2 Could be a bad upper seal - the engine has positive lube to the upper bearing - not really pressure, but it keeps it wet. Easy to change after you get the flywheel off.
    #3 Over-filled crankcase?

• tomplum
    15 years ago

Warranty.

• roadbike
    15 years ago

Check the oil level. If overfillled this could be an issue. Also, does the oil leakage occur when you are mowing crossways on a steep hill?

• biglumber
    15 years ago

Are you tipping the mower to clean under the deck? Check oil level as in too much oil? ???

• tomplum
    15 years ago

Significantly overfilling, tipping etc can explain why a Tecumseh top mounted breather will pump oil thru the hose. But if it is a consistent external leak, and the OP noted he is adding oil - it likely needs a breather kit, maybe a seal. Warranty / shop repair if he can't pull the flywheel.

• den_k
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all, thanks for the feedback. To clarify, I mow on all level ground, I don't tip the mower excessively (I lift up the front enough to take the blade off to sharpen); it just leaks! It doesn't leak immediately on start-up; it takes a little while to start leaking. Then it leaks as long as the engine is running. I can't get the flywheel off because I don't have a tool. And by the way, lots of luck to get warranty work done here on Maui. They don't want to do anything unless you pay them, and if you didn't buy the machine from them, they won't talk to you. Besides, I wouldn't trust them working on the mower anyway. How hard is it to change out the breather, providing I can get the flywheel off? Any help will be appreciated.

• tomplum
    15 years ago

The breather is simple. Maybe for cheap they would pull the flywheel and send you on your way. You take a real chance damaging this flywheel w/o using a puller. You could hope it comes off easily and try this at your own risk. Remove the hardware on top the flywheel and reinstall the nut flush. Tie the safety bail up to release the brake. Pry up carefully under the beefier side of the flywheel, close to the key, on a solid spot on the block and rap the top of the crank. I still suggest either buying a puller, or maybe a dealership-at that least that way you could get it covered under warranty...

• gordonmacwilliam
    13 years ago

I had this same problem after nearly three years of ownership. The mower warranty was still a few days prior to expiration (Toro extended the warranty to three years for mowers purchased between March 29, 2007 and July 5, 2007), so I took it to an authorized dealer for repair. On the first repair attempt, the dealer replaced the breather gasket. On the second repair attempt, they replaced the breather itself. On the third attempt, they finally did some honest troubleshooting and found that the governor shaft bushing was leaking which they replaced.

• evdpgh
    13 years ago

"And by the way, lots of luck to get warranty work done here on Maui. They don't want to do anything unless you pay them, and if you didn't buy the machine from them, they won't talk to you."

Where are you Yungman? Another good example of the exemplary service provided by the small, independent shop. The only thing they do well is complain because internet sales and big box stores have put them out of business.

• chesapeakebeach
    13 years ago

Put some Liquid Wrench on the flywheel nut and let it soak in for a couple hours before folliwng tomplum's advice. I did that recently on a 25 year-old Tecumseh engine that had seen a lot outdoor storage, and the flywheel came off on the first hit (and I didn't even smack it or pry that hard). And check your local hardware stores for a Tecumseh flywheel removal device -- IIRC Ace is supposed to carry them, and they're only about $5 here on the mainland. Check Amazon, too.