Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
self propelled lawn mower issues.

Posted by mkontax none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 7:25

The differential failed on my low end self propelled lawn mower prematurely. I took the transmission apart and found plastic inside that simply would not hold up. I would suggest to not buy a lower end self propelled lawn mower for this reason. I am not sure what price point is required to get quality but it is not in the 300 to 400 range that many home centers sell these units at. The transmission replacement costs 85.00 after searching for rock bottom prices. I do not know how much a shop would charge to replace one but I would guess the repair costs are not worth the repair. I will never buy another one like this. I sure miss my lawn boy from the 70;s ........By the way, I plan to engage the drive from now on with pressure off the front wheels (front wheel drive) and hopefully this will extend the life of this differential.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: self propelled lawn mower issues.

Never heard of that brand!
Your post could be somewhat meaningful if you stated WHAT mower you bought and how many hours it had.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 20:15

I'm willing to bet it's a Toro, personal pace, front wheel drive, the lowest of the low.

o

lets role here to get the idea which brand is best suite for u and take a very good discount.Save some money.......best of ,luck :)

Here is a link that might be useful: lawn mower discount offer

o

I will never buy anything buy a full commercial self propelled 21" mower. In fact, I just bought a Toro 22195 - $1200. I'm just a homeowner but like you said I'm sick of the $450 self propelled junk. Now for a true push mower with no drive, a $200 piece from Sears is perfectly fine - really not a whole lot to go wrong on them and you can usually get at least 5-10 years out of one as a backup mower or mowing in tight spots, but as far as self propelled mower, im willing to spend $1200 on the Toro knowing it will last me decades and knowing its actually a mower worth spending money on repairing if it ever needs to be.

o

• Posted by slls none (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 14:48

$85 seems high, my 2 year old Toro trans is only $46. BTW it has plastic trans gears.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here