Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honda HR216 Carburetor

Posted by jg1124 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 07 at 8:52

Hi all. I have a Honda HR216 that I have had for about 4 years. Recently it has been running very rough and seems to have lost some of its power. The engine sputters and at times acts like it wants to die. I have read various things and have a feeling I need to clean the carburetor. I was wondering if anyone could provide some tips or how-to about doing this. I am fairly handy but have never worked on a lawn mower before. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honda HR216 Carburetor

After 4 years it's probably time to take it apart. First make sure that fuel line is not clogged and enough gas gets to carburetor. If flow is good, cleaning carb would be the next thing I would try. Also, your air filter is clean, right? Get some good spray carb cleaner (make sure it has toluene, the "environmental" stuff sucks). Spray the outside before you take it off. The carb is not that hard to take apart, just study it as you go and don't get rough with it. You will need a small screwdriver, like a jewelry size to take out the jets. Clean the passages with small copper wire. Twisted strand electric wire sometimes works on the really small passages. Use the carb cleaner on parts that have any varnish on them. Some of the passages may be recessed and hard to see, so a flashlight may help. Get a good place to work so you don't lose any small parts, and don't get any carb cleaner in your eyes. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here