Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueskyes_gw

New Toro Recycler will not start

Blueskyes
11 years ago

Just wondering if there is a quick fix before I have to take it in and then wait an untold amount of days before I get it back. As stated, it is a new Toro Recycler with the Kohler engine, cut the lawn 3 times, the 3rd time it took quite a few more pulls on the starter than the guaranteed 2 pulls, now, it will not start no matter how many pulls, BUT..it will start if I squirt a little bit of gas into the carb intake behind the filter, but, it only runs until that bit of gas is used up, then it dies...does this sound like something one of ya'll would know about? Thanks alot ahead of time for any help.

Comments (14)

• rustyj14
    11 years ago

Also check the little air breather hole in the fuel cap. Sometimes, a little bug will lay an egg in there, and it will plug up the hole, which effectively shuts off the fuel from reaching the carb!

• 1saxman
    11 years ago

Since it's new, I vote for a blockage in the carb from something that was in the carb or fuel line all along. You can try something but it probably won't work - pick up the mower on the carb side about six inches and drop it a couple times. Otherwise somebody has to take the carb apart and see what's happening.

• MowersGalore
    11 years ago

I would be surprised if it is anything else besides a blockage in the fuel

• nydalken
    11 years ago

I have a one year old mower self propelled easy start, I cant get mower to start, there is no primer easy start I pull and pull and pull nothing. last year pull one time easy and it started right up now nothing, need some help on what could be my problem.. oh it is a toro lawn mower

• 1saxman
    11 years ago

Guys: these 4-cycle mowers now have lean fuel systems for lower emissions. This means smaller orifices in the carburetor. It only takes a little speck of matter or a little varnish build-up to shut them down. If you use a fuel stabilizer/cleaner like Sta-Bil (put it in your gas can before filling so it's always there) you can get better reliability. Otherwise learn to service the carburetor or pay to have it done. Your choice.

• santostats
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

These Toro mowers are obviously TRASH. I will never purchase another Toro again. I have the same exact issue with mine that I've only been able to use about 6-7 times. I just threw it in the corner of the garage. TRASH. I'm tired of having to baby it to start it up. It shouldn't have to be babied like this. It should be reliable, which it's Not.

• yt125
    8 years ago

Maybe you should start a new thread of your own and we might be able to help you instead of bashing Toro on a thread that is almost 3 years old

• jduck23
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a Toro "Easy Pull" Lawnmower that is only 3 years old. The second year I couldn't get it started. Paid $100 to have it completely serviced. It started twice. The third time it wouldn't start. Took it back because it was still under the repair warranty. He got it started again. This year it wouldn't start again. Took it in, paid $60 for a tune-up. It worked twice. On third time it wouldn't start. We pull and pull for several days. Still no luck. Am taking it back to repair shop since it's still under his 30 day repair warranty. Getting pretty darned p...ed off now. Will get a thorough understanding on what is causing this problem and find out what he does to get it started and why it does not continue to start every time. "Easy Pull" my foot. I'm beginning to agree with "Santostats" above. If someone can give me a reason why I should trust Toro mowers, I'm inclined to not think highly of them at all.

• PRO
    advanced power
    7 years ago

I haven't read the previous replies but we have sold many of your model 20370's and what we are finding in the third year (right after the warranty!) the carburetors are failing. Those kohler courage engines are the worst and we have stopped selling them when we found this problem. New carbs are only about $40. Once you have it replaced your are really going to have to be proactive with this mower. Store it away with the non ethanol fuel.

• James Brown
    7 years ago

Well Advance Power: I bought a Toro 22in Recycler in 2014 with the Khlorer engine and hav had problems starting in 2015. And you guessed it a mower with a total coverage warrenty for three years wasn't covered because of the carburatr. Sounds to me you know about the problem but limt coverage so you don't have to pay for repair.

• ssewalk1
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Can't believe all the fuss over a little preventative mtce called fuel conditioner . I have the same mower 6th season, Yes , Guaranteed to Start lol (Non Ethanol fuel) perhaps . All these small engine units have cheap carbs , especially the easy start models , what a oxymoron ! I had one instance with mine , stubled upon start up 3rd yr . Checked the plug , carbon . Cleaned it ? checked the fuel can (2 Gal.) was full ? My son had refilled it without conditioner when he used my mower . One mth and the Efuel can began to clog the fuel circuits people . As advised within this Thread EPA has leaned these engines out (very small orifices) compromising the fuel distribution to the engine , any further restriction results in hard starting . Keep them clean no problem !

• James Brown
    7 years ago

OK sstracker1, if you have had yours 6 seasons then it's not the same as mine . I bought mine 2nd half of season 2014 and it worked fine. I emptied the gas from tank and carb, then in 20015 replaced the oil, filter, spark plug and added fresh gas, used it three more times when trouble started, so it no from lack of maint.

• ssewalk1
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

No where in your thread James have you mention any fuel conditioner . Unless you use some you cannot ensure clean fuel circuits within these cheap offshore carbs . Draining the floatbowl is not sufficient , residual fuel remains within the (6) very small fuel passages which gums up and actually oxidizes over longer than 30 day duration between usage with e-fuel causing water entrainment . Secondary cause could be a defective carb Thermostatic Choke Assembly .These easy start units have a rather funky carb not the most reliable , wish they had stayed with the manual choke or purge / primer style . P.S. James your engine is exactly the same as mine 6.75 Torque Rated , they have not changed anything on the power plant , only minor cosmetic changes to the mower deck and control design. My Unit was the 1st yr offering of the Kolher rather than the conventional Briggs or former Tec or Toro Engine. Believe me a have repaired numerous chainsaws and gas trimmers / blowers with efuel issues . The Small Engine Mower Market has just began to Wreak the Havoc of this Corn Based Fuel Additive !