Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toothpicks_gw

Honda HRR216TDA drive won't disengage

toothpicks
14 years ago

Hi all,

New to the forum, Howdy!

I searched but saw nobody else with my problem (more often the opposite). Mine drives fine but the tranny will not disengage fully. So when I have the drive handle released all the way it still wants to drive.

That also doesn't help when trying to start it!

I looked it over and saw no obvious way to get to the drive belt for adjustment/cleaning (like a cover under the deck). I need to pull the blades for sharpening, and I was thinking of going ahead and pulling the motor while I've got it in the shop to get a better look at how things work. I can't help but think that's probably a futile gesture/overkill. Better to attack the transmission end? Oh, for a service manual... ($34.95, think I'll order one)

What say you? Suggestions for a newb?

Comments (8)

• canguy
    14 years ago

I would check the cable from the bail, it may be seized.

• toothpicks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gotta laugh at myself now. After flipping it over on the side and giving the deck a thorough cleaning, I found it! Four small bolts hold a cover in place over the belt. That's more like it.

After pulling the cover and removing a large pancake of dried grass, I started cleaning around the tranny. The cable seemed free but there was a grass buildup around the arm that it pulls on. After cleaning that off, the arm moved back an inch or two further.

That did it. You had the right idea canguy, thanks.

I should have known. Maybe from now on I'll pay closer attention to cleaning that area.

• canguy
    14 years ago

Good for you. Sure nice when a problem is that easy to solve.

• egalino
    12 years ago

I am having a similar problem. Rear wheels lock up when I try to pull backwards. Goes fine going forward. I cleaned and checked the pinion gears, half-moon pin, and spring. Needed cleaning, but all were intact. Removed cover from bottom to expose transmission. Freed the area of all of the built up grass. Cable moves freely now, and the arm on top of the trans. is o.k. I double checked for positioning of the pinion gear, and that checked o.k. Still having a problem with the rear wheels locking up when backing up with the bail released. Any help or comments from anyone will be appreciated.

• rosemallow
    12 years ago

I don't want to hijack this, but Egalino, what is your model number?
    The problem you are asking about is usually a problem on a HXA transmission.

• SailorSam
    12 years ago

I have a similar problem with a HRM215EH. The self propell disengagement spring broke. I have gotten a new spring, but can't figure out how to install it. Anyone have any clues???

• SailorSam
    12 years ago

I figured out my issue. To replace the spring, first remove the plastic housing cover on the under side of the mower. This one has 2 bolts into the underside of the engine, one that goes into the grass discharge chute (it is probably badly rusted and will not be ease to remove, and one that is behind one of the rear wheels (take the wheel off to get at it). Once the housing is gone, it isn't too bad getting the spring onto it's connections...

• cliffwalk_myfairpoint_net
    12 years ago

The wheels do not want to drive when the weight of the mower is on them,but they will drive if the handle is lifted slightly to get the weight off the wheels.