Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn boy 5236 won't start repeatedly

Posted by rev20 none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 13:19

Hi,
I have a lawnboy mower 5236 which is giving me trouble starting. At times, it fires up without issues and then refuses to start when I switch it off.
I have already replaced the spark plug and plug wire. It bears mentioning that the mower has been lying idle for 10 years or so.
It doesn't have the ON/OFF knob but it starts all the same. When starting it, I first prime it for about 10 times and then pull the cord. Sometimes it sputters for a minute or two and then starts and runs like it's new. At other times, it completely refuses to start.
What could be the problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn boy 5236 won't start repeatedly

Sounds like the ignition isn't working sometimes. I would check out any switch on it that controls the ignition. Look for loose, corroded or frayed wires at the switch. If you find a loose wire, fix it and it still does the same thing, it might be in the switch. I might for test purposes connect the wires around the switch and see how that works. Of course, you'll have to cut it off the old-fashioned way while that switch is out of the loop - wear heavy gloves and pull the spark plug wire. :) Maybe you can get a new switch or adapt another one to work. You're lucky that old rascal still runs at all. Most likely, repeated starting attempts flood it, which would account for the rough running when it does make contact.

o
RE: Lawn boy 5236 won't start repeatedly

It's also possible that your plunger is worn . That mower uses a pump type plunger that has an o ring at the end to provide a seal. Pumping ten times is a lot. It's also possible that you are flooding it. Try using fewer plunges and see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here