Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help replacing primer bulb on craftsman push mower

Posted by slatch (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 26, 09 at 13:21

Hi- I have no experience with machine repair and need to change the primer bulb on my craftsman mower. I already have the replacement part but no clue how to change it. When I pulled on the bulb, gas leaked out. Can anyone provide me with an easy to understand walkthrough? I would really appreciate it! My lawn looks like a jungle!! Thanks..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help replacing primer bulb on craftsman push mower

information on the engine brand / model / type, code or spec is needed.

If this is the large displacement Briggs Quantum series, chances are your fuel leaking problem is not caused by the primer bulb. The primer bulb is simply an air pump. There is a vent located on the end of the bulb. When depressing the bulb air pressure is forced into the carburetor float bowl. This forces fuel in the float bowl to travel up the venturi tube and enter the air stream into the engine. Carburetor flooding may result in fuel entering the primer bulb.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 11:15

Usually a screwdriver is used to pry out the metal ring holding in the rubber primer bulb and a 3/4" socket and hammer is used to install the new ring. Use care when removing the ring.

o

BTW, IF YOU HAVE THE BALL SHAPED BULB PRIMER (RED USUALLY ON MY CHEAP MOWER)AND IT HAS A SPLIT IN IT THERE IS AN EASY FIX IF YOU CAN'T FIND A REPLACEMENT AND IT INVOLVES THE SILICONE RUBBER IN A TUBE THAT YOU USE TO FIX A LEAKY WINDSHIELD(AUTO STORE WILL KNOW), ALTHOUGH THE THICK TOOTHPASTE-LIKE SILICONE RUBBER WILL WORK. JUST PAINT SOME OF THAT ON THE ENTIRE SURFACE OF THE BALL AND RECOAT IT WITH RUBBER, USING A MATCHSTICK OR EVEN AN OLD BRUSH. THIS WILL SEAL ANY HOLE OR SPLIT IN IT AND YOU CAN CONTINUE TO MOW RATHER THAN MAKE A TRIP OR WAIT FOR THE MAILORDER PART.

o

Hey speckspeck, why are you yelling?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here