Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
higgledy

Snapper Rear Engine Mower?

higgledy
14 years ago

Does anyone have experience with the Snapper Rear Engine mower?

I have a 1/2 acre lot which is to small for a lawn tractor but nearly to big for a walk-behind (in terms of time to mow).

I am thinking a Snapper Rear Engine might be a good compromise.

Anyone have experience with the Snapper Rear Engine Mower?

Thank you.

Comments (18)

• canguy
    14 years ago

They are a great choice for areas up to an acre or so, especially if there are tight areas. The simple design has not changed a lot over the years for one simple reason. It WORKS. The friction drive does not work well on slopes though.

• rustyj14
    14 years ago

I bought a new Snapper rear engine riding mower, way back in 1983! I repowered it last summer. I have replaced the little rubber tired drive wheel once-last summer. I replaced the only belt on it-the mower blade belt--around 3 years ago. I've used it every summer as my main riding mower! I've had other tractor types, but the Snapper is always the best one of the bunch! Sections of my yard are around 40 degrees sloped. the mower trots right up, even when towing the yard carts. Has the Hi-lift blade, and the grass catcher. A large grass bag, and does wonders in the fall, with the oak leaves!
    Only one warning--you can't stop going up hill, then try to start out, especially with a full grass bag, because the machine tends to "rear-up", startling the wizzies out of ya, but mine has never turned turtle on me! Heck, folks need some excitement from life, don't they?
    And, it is very maneouverable. Tows a large cart with no problem. A quality piece of equipment!

• walt2002
    14 years ago

I once specialized in traded in used Snappers most of which I reconditioned before reselling plus we used them ourselves and a friend still specializes in them. I would hate to routinely mow more than 1/2 acre with them unless I REALLY enjoyed spending my time that way.

They are very simple, extremely durable, comparatively easily repaired if need, parts are available WAY back and very boring to use, not very nimble and rough riding.

We have now used Dixon ZTRs for close to 30 years and I would throw rocks a Snapper RER for my personal use. Even when I was dealing in them I would test a newly refurbished one for maybe 20 minutes then put it away and mow the lawn with the Dixon.

By the way, I have detailed repair instructions I wrote for some repairs and offer advice frequently.

Walt Conner

• beagle-1
    14 years ago

Bought a 28" Snapper Hi-Vac two years ago based on some of the information that several of the guys gave me on this site. Love that Snapper! I got the electric start with the 12.5 hp. Easy to clean deck, just tip it up on end. The only thing I've done to it is change the blade to a Gator blade. The blade that came with worked good, but the Gator blade seems to work better for me, cuts grass and leaves real good.....

• loi2009
    14 years ago

to Walt :
    Is the Dixon zeeter 30" good ?

• walt2002
    14 years ago

Well I really hate to answer that question because I expect you have or are looking at one.

It is not one I would want unless I had a very small lawn with "stuff" to mow around. The smaller cut the Dixon is, the narrower it is and the smaller the tires. Since they steer with the rear wheels, narrower means they have less leverage for turning and the 30" is as long between front and rear wheels as a 42" so the resistance to making the casters pivot is as great. Smaller wheels also mean less traction.

You said something else, Zeeter originally referred to the "new" style Dixon cone drive, the "better idea" that wasn't. The old Classic Cone Drives would last a long time IF they were used to mow with, not as an ATV. Also, the new "Z" Drive, Zeeter, is much more difficult to adjust and repair compared to the old Classic Drive. With out a model number or a picture of the drive, I can't really tell which you have but they started using the "Z" Drive in the 30" much before they used them in the 42", late 80s sometime.

Walt Conner

• walt2002
    14 years ago

As an after thought, IF the control handles pivot in from the sides resembling a typical hydrostatic drive, it will be a "Z" Drive. IF they come up thru the body in front of the operator, it will be a Classic Drive.

Walt Conner

• loi2009
    14 years ago

Hi Walt,
    This 30" I saw at a mower repair place It driven by chains, but the control handles like hydrostatic. So the one used chains consider a classic Drive ?

• walt2002
    14 years ago

Both use chains, 4 of them, two short ones in next to the Discups that the Cones turn and one on each side from the jackshaft to the rear wheel. That part has nothing to do with Z drive/classic drive.

These should be lubed just like you would lube motorcycle chains though some people just leave them dry saying they attract dirt and cause them to wear, that has not been my experience.

Walt Conner

• hardin
    14 years ago

I love both my Snappers and have used them for years. They are quality machines and simple to work on with easy to find parts.

I have had my Snapper 28" rear engine rider for 15 years(bought used). It is the perfect size for my yard and I am able to drive thru all the gates. The walk-behind mower I bought used for $35 dollars at an auction in 1997 is still going strong. When the time comes, I am buying Snapper again.
    I keep the oil changed, add stabilizer at the end of the season, and keep the blades sharpened. Just like a car, if you take care of it, it will stand by you.

And as said above, every once in a while, my rider pops a wheelie.

• stanza2
    13 years ago

It's time to replace my old Snapper rider (27 yrs old), and I want another used one - maybe 10 years old or newer.

What models are more reliable? Are there any models to avoid? Is the Kohler engine as good as the B&S?

Any and all expertise would be appreciated, especially you, walt2002. Thanks.

• patsrace
    10 years ago

I have a Snapper rear engine mower went to mow today mower started fine, then I engaged the blade and the mower shut off and wouldn't restart didn't if anyone can help with this problem!

Thanks

• chogg
    9 years ago

I have two snapper RER equipped with 14 hp kohler command engines. I have had very good service out of both of them. they are about 20 years old. I have been using snapper RER since about 1981 and am dissappointed in the recent redesign / developments.

• Rick P
    8 years ago

In 2008 I purchased a Snapper 2812523BVE Hi-Vac model. The drive disc has been the only part replaced, two months ago. My wife says I weigh too much. Coincidence?

• Ben Mason
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I just bought a 2010 Hi vac 33 that was repowered with a b&s 17hp. motor. It's not a very comfortable ride and the seat jerks you around a little on a uneven lawn and the gas tank I think is a little small . It appears to be well made and I think it will be reliable as long as you take care of it just like anything else. It's also seems to be a little slow even at top speed so I wouldn't recommend it for cutting any lawn over a 1/2 acre unless you like spending your time cutting your lawn and you have nothing better to do lol.

• rustyj14
    8 years ago

Well, you could make a towing hitch for it, and hitch it onto yer soft riding sedan, with all the comfy seats and all. That way--you could mow in style, all the while enjoying the stares of neighbors who are standing closeby, making air circles beside their heads! You'd even have a radio to drown out the sounds of the engine! By: Rusty Jones!

• harry_wild
    8 years ago

All older lawn mowers seem to last a lot longer then the current models! It like the GM, Chrysler and Ford back in the 70s and 80s were they made disposable cars but they had to change that due to the Japanese eating their lunch. Now, domestics and Japanese are nose to nose in quality and durability!

All the rest of the lawn mower companies are like the domestics now against Honda! Honda can price it at premium prices now; since they are king of reliability! After all; you might have a lawn mower that a lot of features but if it does not work; it worthless to you!