Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Murray starts and then dies

Posted by bcurrey (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 14:44

I have a 42" riding mower. It has a briggs & stratton engine. At the end of last year, I had some issues with it not wanting to start after it had warmed up. So if I mowed my back yard, turned it off to move it to the front, it wouldn't start.

Last weekend I got it out to do the spring time maintenance. Now it dies after starting.

This weekend I replaced the solenoid, the battery and the gas. I also took the carbeurator off and cleaned it real good, though it wasn't dirty.

I changed the spark plug last year and it's clean. I changed the fuel filter last year as well when I first started having some issues.

Here's a video I took yesterday. I sprayed some engine starter fluid just before recording the video. That's what helped it turn over the first time. After that, nothing. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Link to video:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0PZQ2m9_AniS3hIQTRjVUdjQmc/edit?usp=sharing

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Murray starts and then dies

By "NOTHING" one would tend to assume it doesn't crank, click or anything.
Cranking is SOMETHING!

I'd start by replacing the fuel filter.

Model & Type of the engine and/or tractor Model# could be useful.

o

The mower model is 4250001x8. The engine is a briggs & Stratton. Model 31C707

Appreciate your help

o

Since you didn't mention the TYPE# of the engine I'd suggest going to the Briggs website and downloading the IPL for your engine.
IF a new fuel filter doesn't resolve the issue, clean part 127.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here