Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
briggs engine problem

Posted by ernier (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 29, 10 at 14:50

I have a briggs 18.5hp riding mower engine that builds up gas on the head causing to much compression. I take the spark plug out and crank to clean out the gas and once reinstalled can start engine but runs way to rich with gas. Rebuilt the carb all except new intake seat. Can anyone help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: briggs engine problem

Well if you have gas in the cylinder then it almost certainly is in the oil as well. IF the oil is contaminated with gas, engine will likely fail as many do. You need to install an inline gas shut off valve and use it when the engine is not running.

These engines typically run lean so you do have a problem. You may need to check that the carb float doesn't have a hole in it. If it does, you should be able to hear gas sloshing around in it when you shake it. Check the seat but unless it has a big pc of debre stuck in it, even a leaking needle and seat shouldn't leak so badly to caust the symptoms you describe.

Walt Conner

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here