Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GreyHound Engine Gas everywhere!

Posted by xtrace NC (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 29, 10 at 15:31

Hello!

I have a 6.5hp Greyhound engine. Recently, I found this floating in my gas tank

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6084/piece.jpg

It doesn't look like it connected anywhere, but i'm sure it did. I'm not sure if thats the problem but now gas is spilling out of the oil tank and flooding it to the point where you can't even pull the crank! Anyone know of anything I can do to fix this, or why an engine might do this?!

Thank you guys!

Drew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GreyHound Engine Gas everywhere!

I cant open your link, but it sounds as if the float has broken off its mounting place. This would allow gasoline to fill the engine crank-case, and prevent you from turning the crankshaft. w\hat did you find floating in the tank? Please describe it. and, some carburetors will get crudded up inside, and the float will stick in the down position, also allowing fuel to fill the crankcase.
That would cause the engine to be filled with fuel.

o

I knew a guy that had a pair of greyhounds and had them chipped in case they ran away... The piece from the tank -is it screen like or look as though it came out of the fuel cap>? Your carb overflowing could also be from debris caught between the float valve and seat. Could be a contaminated float or a defect too. Obviously the engine would need to be de-flooded and oil changed 6nce the repair is done.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 6:05

Here's what it looks like:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here