Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Riding mower won't start...

Posted by barrymorrissey (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 15:34

I didn't drain the gas from my tank at the end of the season last year. I have drained the tank now. I replaced the spark plugs. The carburetor was rebuilt towards the end of the season last year. Fuel filter is fine. Battery is fine. I am not good with terminology...but when I turn the key it will constantly try to turn over for as long as I hold the key, but it never starts. I figured it wasn't firing so I changed the spark plugs. Is there anything I need about the plugs? Do I have to spray anything in there before I put a new plug in? The oil is a little low and probably needs to be changed, but I didn't think that would prevent it from starting.

Any thoughts? I can post the model number if you really need it, but I figured this was kind of a problem that relates to all mowers. It is a Craftsman with a 25hp Briggs & Stratton engine though.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Riding mower won't start...

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 22:17

Remove the air filter and pour a bit of gas in the carb throat then try it. If it fires and quits you have a fuel delivery problem.. Are you using a fuel stabilizer?

o
RE: Riding mower won't start...

I'm no mechanic, but have you cleaned out the carb to make sure there isn't any gooey gunk left in there that can stop the flow of gas? To help prevent this, I add stabilizer to the last can of gas I buy at the end of the season. My mowers always start up in the spring. Beats cleaning out the carbs.

Good Luck,
Vickie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here